What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a car?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
What an interesting question.

While we have public busses here in Pensacola, Florida, they do not run often enough or have enough routes to make them a viable means of transportation for most people. Therefore one can walk or take a taxi or drive himself therefore a car is almost a necessity, except in the largest cities, where we have efficient mass transit.

But the most important advantage of owning a car is that I do not have to ask my wife to let me use her car if it is raining and I do not want to get wet while riding my Harley. :lol:

The biggest disadvantage is the total cost of owning and operating any motorized vehicle which includes: purchase price, insurance, gasoline, maintenance, parking, toll roads and last but not least #@%*!?$& TAXES :x . Here the average cost to operate a cheap compact car is about US $0.75 per mile or about R$0.83 per KM.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
Those who drive a cheap compact car please raise your hands. Now please tell us the advantages and disadvantages of driving one.

Me, I drive a cheap compact 4-door Prisma sedan 2007, which runs on gasoline and ethanol. Do many of you enjoy big car driving? Does big car driving offer advantages or disadvantages? Please name them.
Marcio_Farias escreveu:Those who drive a cheap compact car please raise your hands. Now please tell us the advantages and disadvantages of driving one.

Me, I drive a cheap compact 4-door Prisma sedan 2007, which runs on gasoline and ethanol. Do many of you enjoy big car driving? Does big car driving offer advantages or disadvantages? Please name them.

Marcio,

We, Cristina and myself, have a Nissan Quest, 7 passenger van with a 3.6 liter 210 HP V6 engine, a Mercury Cougar (similar to a Ford Mustang) 4 passenger car with a 4.6 liter 300 HP V8 engine, and a Harley Davidson Dyna Glide 2 passenger motorcycle with a 1.6 liter 80 HP V Twin. Both the Nissan and Cougar give excellent rides, and in the event of an accident will provide more passenger protection than a compact car. The Nissan gets about 25 Miles Per Gallon (10KM/L.) (70 Passenger/KM/L) and the Murcury gets about 19 MPG (7.6 KM/L.) (30 Passenger/KM/L.) The Harley offers no protection in an accident, does not have air conditioning, has a great ride, is very maneuverable, is a lot of fun to ride and gets about 50 MPG (20 KM/L.) (40 Passenger/KM/L.)

So I guess you have to consider all the alternatives, and make a choice of what is most important to you. In my case the Harley wins "hands down". :D Now if I can just "keep the shiny side up and the rubber parts down". ;) :D By the way heaven is, "A V Twin between your legs, the wind in your face, and a long "twisty road".

Three idioms to ponder or look up:
Hands Down.
Keep the shiny side up and the rubber parts down.
Twisty road.
We have loads of advantages of having a car, such as to be quick and fast to go and come back wherever you go and the fact of not depending on inefficient public transport system, especially if you do not have easy access to the metro train service. On the other hand, own a vehicle means to have expenses on maintenance services, taxes, insurance service and moreover, you should be aware of the possibility of having extra expenses on an eventual car crash. In short, you should analyze the benefit and harm of having a car before owning it.
Bill, as with any imported American car to drive around in a Mercury Cougar in Brazil one has to have a lot of dough. I myself have never seen a Cougar cruising around here. Camaros notwithstanding, I have only seen a few Tangs, one as old as 1974 that had dual exhaust pipes that made a lot of noise, just as loudly as thunder when its owner revved it up. Rarely do onlookers see Cougars, Tangs and Camaros now as they constitute a rare scene today. Only so recently, however, did GM of Brazil decide to import Camaros and Malibus for resale within continental Brazil. Still a few fortunate drivers will sit behind the wheel of (and cruise in) one of these.

To get one of these I'd have to work a lot and build up a big pile of cash in a savings account. This would take more than a hundred years! Seriously. :|
It is so dificult answer this question. It depends on many situations.
Advantages: not walking more, would go to school by car.
Disadvantages: for those who live in sao paulo, would pick up traffic.
Very recently I have had to replace both my front wheel and rear wheel bearings. They made a kind of strong humming noise when my car picked up speed. For a car with only 36000 km on it, I think the bearings started pitting and making noise a bit too early.

While steering my compact car through and around Recife's potholes has become increasingly hard, I have strongly considered selling the car for fear of incurring extra maintenance expenses. I can always catch the 440 commuter bus on the way to and back from work. And I can always take a nap while doing so. Let the bus driver do the steering for me!
ailime escreveu:We have loads of advantages of having a car, such as to be quick and fast to go and come back wherever you go and the fact of not depending on inefficient public transport system, especially if you do not have easy access to the metro train service. On the other hand, own a vehicle means to have expenses on maintenance services, taxes, insurance service and moreover, you should be aware of the possibility of having extra expenses on an eventual car crash. In short, you should analyze the benefit and harm of having a car before owning it.

Ailime,

How about these changes?

We have loads of advantages of having a car, such as providing one with a fast way to travel, without having to depend on the inefficient public transportation system, especially if you do not have easy access to the metro train system. On the other hand, owning a vehicle obligates one to the expenses of maintenance, taxes, insurance and the ever present danger of large cash outlays in the event of an accident. In short, you should analyze all the benefits and detriments of ownership before purchasing any vehicle.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido? Em 6 meses você pode elevar o seu inglês a um novo patamar.

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!
Good morning Bill! :D

I always benefit from your rewriting. I have also learnt "outlay", which means "spending, expenditure".
I took an example: An in initial outlay of hundreds of thousands of dollars was well worth it.
Good word, indeed! ;) Thanks!!

Still about your rewrting, if you allow me, I would like to ask why you chose "detriments" instead of "harm" . Is "harm" inappropriate in this context?

Regards,
ailime