What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a car?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Question: In your opinion, what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a car?

- Having a car means that you will have to pay a very high vehicle property tax, put up with the traffic, be patient when it decides to stop working...
- Having a car is essential in modern life.
- It is much better, safer and cheaper to take a bus;
- It is even better when you have someone to give you a ride ;)

Now it's your turn!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário josneywat 305 6
The advantages are the glamour, easy locomotion and it's better on rainy days.The disadvantages are it can kill you on the road.
Avatar do usuário Gabi 705 1 1 13
Best thing is to have a bycicle.
But yeap, on rainy days it's handy and on cold days as well.
Or when you need to go shopping some food, it's easier if you've got a car.
It's also good if you live in Sao Paulo and you want to go out for a drink at night, then you
can just come back home any time that you want to. Because in SP we don't have night buses.
But glamour? No,c'mom rsrs

And to have a car it's not that good because you help to pollute the air and
you can get dependent on the car. Because after a while if you don't be careful you'll happen
to see yourself getting your car just to go to the bakery right in the next corner.
And you've got to pay loads of taxes to the Government, just because you have a car.
well, where I live car is essencial. so car is a good thing here...hahaha...there's no bus or taxi. In the near city we can find a taxi, but it costs about 50 reais for 5 or 10 minutes driving..it is too expensive!

the bad thing about having a car is: need to pay auto insurance (it is an obligation) and also need to count on the nice weather otherwise need to drive really carefully to not ended up in some harzadous ...
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
Gabi escreveu: [...] Because in SP we don't have night buses.[...]

Really? How do bus-commuters get around when they need to leave home for work at night then?
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Marcio_Farias escreveu:
Gabi escreveu: [...] Because in SP we don't have night buses.[...]

Really? How do bus-commuters get around when they need to leave home for work at night then?

I guess she meant from midnight to 4am.
Avatar do usuário Gabi 705 1 1 13
Yeap, exactly what Fla's said.
Avatar do usuário josneywat 305 6
On second thought there's no disadvantage of having a car. You can sell it if you don't like it. I can see real disadvantage if you have none cause you can't selll it.
Avatar do usuário Tiago Tafari Catelam 95 1
I think that owning a car isn't as good as most people think it is. First of all, it is not cheap to buy a car. Second, when you buy it, you'll continually spend money on it, whether it is with gas, taxes, maintenance, insurance...

By far, I would prefer a great subway/train system (I mean, a large, efficient and cheap one) rather than a car. One of the problems why that doesn't happen in Brazil (in my way of view) is that car is always referred to as a status symbol. Owning a car means power.

You just need to turn on your TV. The only ads for sure to be seen during every commercial break are the ones related to cars. It's almost impossible to watch an entire commercial break without seeing at least one car ad. Start to notice it.

On the other hand, I think owing a car is useful when you have to go to a remote town, when you want to travel and when the places you usually go don't have a good public transportation system. To be honest, I think that if I had money I would buy a car. But I wouldn't use it on the daily bases unless I really needed it.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
Flavia.lm escreveu:I guess she meant from midnight to 4am.

What with seeing SP city as a giant city bustling and crammed with activity, I wrongly inferred it would naturally have overnight bus service. No other Brazln city bus company offers overnight service BTW.

As for driving, it takes some getting used to in cities such as SP city. And Bombai, India.