What do you like or dislike about your house or apartment?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
:oops: In the above post I said "North East" when the correct direction is "Nort West". :? :oops: ;)
I like my bedroom and I dislike of the bedroom of my mother
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe como está o seu nível de inglês? Teste agora GRÁTIS em apenas alguns minutos.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Pattye escreveu:I like my bedroom and I dislike of the bedroom of my mother

Your sentence is grammaticaly correct, however, a more natural way of writing it in English would be as follows.

"I like my bedroom, and I dislike my mother's."

Here your mother's bedroom is strongly implied, the sentence is very concise, and flows naturally to a native American English speaker. My high school English teacher was fond of saying, "A story or sentence is just like a woman's skirt; short enough to create interest but just long enough to cover the subject."

Again your sentence is correct and my suggestions are simply nitpicks.
First of all, I would like to thank Flavia, because this subject is very good. I live in a small apartament with my cute daughter and my beautiful wife. Despite of my apartament is small, I love spending my "free" time there. Everything is small, bedroom, kitchen, living room, bathroom, etc. However, there's something good in that, We don't have to spend a lot of time cleaning the apartment.
I don't know if it happens with all of you, but I can't stand spending much time in another place, even If I'm in my mother's house, as soon as possible, I try to come back home.....

Your first two sentences are fine as written, however I would like to suggest a few changes to the rest of your post, as shown in the following rewrite. Please let me know what your thoughts are on the rewrite.

"Despite my apartment being small I love spending my free time there. While all the rooms are small there is something to be said for that, because we don't have to spend a lot of time cleaning it.
I don't know how all of you feel, but I can't stand spending much time in another place, even if I'm at my Mothers house I try to come home as soon as possible."

Thanks for allowing me to assist you in your studies.
Bill, thanks a lot. That's it!

Most of us have their own likes and dislikes in their places. It depends on style, the furniture, size, people you live with and the location itself. So to all of the apartment seeker, you should choose the place that will make you comfortable.
Avatar do usuário Gabi 695 1 1 13
w.slayman escreveu:
Gabi escreveu:the tacky old-fashioned floor tile in the kitchen....every time I look at it I can't help thinking ¬ Man alive, blind me!
the bathroom without shower enclosure also gets on my wick as well...
but I like the fact that it's a small house with no much room left but quite comfy :)

next.... rs

The word wick in English means the center cloth part of a candle, and does not make sense in your sentence. Also since the qestion asks for like of dislike you should have one on them in the first sentence. Please consider the following rewrite and let me know what you think of it.

"I really dislike the tacky old fashioned floor tile in the kitchen, and every time I look at it I can't help thinking, "Man alive blind me!", also the bathroom without a shower enclosure gets my ire up. However I like the fact that it's a small house, without much excess room, but it is quite comfy."

Hi Slayman,
thanks for your suggestions I must say I'm always happy to hear from you, specially because I know you spend your time having a look and considering my posts.
The only thing I'd like to point out is that you may not know the expression "to get on somene's wick" , which means, to annoy someone.
Thanks again for your suggestion :)

My appologies, to get on a person's wick is a British and Australian idiom, and speaking American English I have never been exposed to it until now. I need to remember that there are several versions of English.

Thanks for enlightening me.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido? Em 6 meses você pode elevar o seu inglês a um novo patamar.

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!
Well, that question is a quite hard work, because I can mention plenty of positive aspects as well as negatives about my house. But let me begin with positive points. My house is well located, I mean, there are almost all that someone would like to have near where lives like drugstores, supermarkets, holpitals, schools and so on. Likewise, things my family doesn't want near my house it is too far away, like nousy people. Meanwhile, my city is not a great one for who wants to enter to public colleges, so in this case it is better live far from there during all weekdays long, as I have done for the last one year, on weekdays I have lived about 130 kilometers far from my birth city in a very small apartment which is going to be issue on the next paragraph; on weekends I have spent time in my birth city.

My very small apartment is really small. But I like it, since it is pretty near college and bus station, such as near wherever I will need to go, so I needn't any mean of transportation for moving around essential spots, thus it is possible save some money. Indeed, as Bill told above, for sure location is the most important thing, so we have to spend time and patience looking for some place good instead of simply rent or buy a residence.

Best regards!