What is the difference between "Timber" and "Wood"?

Hello, everyone!

I'm a civil engineer and I have been studying about design of wooden structures. I have been reading a handbook about this subject and I found several times the word "TIMBER" instead of "WOOD". I would like to know if there is a difference between "WOOD" and "TIMBER".

Thanks in advance!

EBOOK VERBO GET Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu email. INICIAR TESTE
4 respostas
PPAULO 6 48 1.1k
Timber is used to talk about "madeira" not only the tree, but the raw (half-processed) product to make building or things.

So, you can also refer to it as a board (plank), or a lumber (American English), mainly talking about projects etc, "lumber company/lumber supplies".

Ref. boonevalley
Ref. thesaurus
Telma Regina 9 62 593
Basically:

Timber is the raw material, the log.

Wood is the finished product.
On the contrary: "The main difference between Timber and Wood is that the Timber is a wood that has been processed into beams and planks and Wood is a fibrous material from trees of other plants." - askdifference
PPAULO 6 48 1.1k
I think "timber" could be thought in specific and general ways:
For example the unaccountable "trees" would be in general.
To talk about Amazonian logging impact it would mean log (toras/árvores cortadas em forma de toras).
And when the lumberjacks shout "timber!" certainly they are talking about a tree coming down.

Indeed there seems like two words have more in common than (they have) differences. There are some intersection in meaning, sometimes. So, the intended context could be crucial to the choice of words in a sentence.
Ref. Timber - wordreference
Ref. Wood - wordreference