What should be done to improve traffic conditions?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Hello,

I am sure that the most important measure at this moment is to improve the public transportation, because it is working and a change would be much more fast about it than about any other. In Brazil, the cars and buses were the focus of our ancient government since the push to the industrialization in the mandate by Vargas (a brazilian former president), when train was rejected as the main mean of transportation. So, Brazil has had a poor public system, because the buses don't be a priority, unfortunately, I guess to our goverment the public system is just a mean of transportation to poor people in order to it works a lot, instead of thinking about a mean that were for all people, rich and poor. If Brazil had a good service by train and buses, our country would be much better, the quality of our lives would become better and the largest cities would be more enjoyable. Maybe penty of accidents would be avoid and our healthy would be improved.
I don't see a possible change in the next years, but I am convicted these will be a fact someday, else some cities of Brazil will enter in a colapse.

Regards!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Since I am a gringo, and have only visited Sao Paulo I may not be as well qualified as a native Paulista is to answer this question, however I will express my opinion regardless of its value.

First I would reduce the number of cars being used on any given day by reversing the license plate number scheme as it currently is, i.e. on Mondays only cars with plates ending in 0 or 1 could drive, on Tuesdays only cars with plates ending in 2 or 3 could be used, and so on.
The second thing I would change would be to require all motoboys to use bicycles instead of motocycles.
The third thing would be to restrict heavy trucks to the right hand lane on the express ways.
The last thing would be to double the number of busses on the streets since there would be plenty of room for them, after implementing the first three.

Oh my gosh I forgot the first thing, which would be to buy a very large life insurance policy on myself before making the changes. :lol: :lol:

To be serious, I believe the most important and effective action would be to increase the metro service areas, and even add local high speed feeder lines to the main high speed lines. An elegant and cost effective option would be a combination subway and elevated train system, with no tracks on grade, except for short transitions, supplemented by a greater number of busses, and on some routes using double deckers and or express (non stop) busses.
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Dear all,

I had the opportunity to spend some hours in Curitiba a couple of years ago, when returning from a trip to Santa Catarina. I remember the tourist guide told us about the very well planned – and effective - traffic system they have there.

I found the video below very interesting and it is also a very good opportunity for you to practice your English (and envy the Curitibans).

I liked the fact that Mr. Lerner, the engenieer responsible for the road system project, is now working as a consultant, advising many cities in the first world.

Mr. Lerner does not have a perfect pronunciation, but his English is quite understandable and I liked the way he used some metaphors.

Important: The video is a bit long, more than fifteen minutes.

Hope you like it.

Improve public trnsport and pedestrianize downtown.
Flavia.lm escreveu:Dear all,

I had the opportunity to spend some hours in Curitiba a couple of years ago, when returning from a trip to Santa Catarina. I remember the tourist guide told us about the very well planned – and effective - traffic system they have there.

I found the video below very interesting and it is also a very good opportunity for you to practice your English (and envy the Curitibans).

I liked the fact that Mr. Lerner, the engenieer responsible for the road system project, is now working as a consultant, advising many cities in the first world.

Mr. Lerner does not have a perfect pronunciation, but his English is quite understandable and I liked the way he used some metaphors.

Important: The video is a bit long, more than fifteen minutes.

Hope you like it.

Flávia,

Very instructive and interesting, indeed!!
He makes analogy between car and mother- in- law!! ha ha haaa!!
What I thought interesting is at 2 min and 18 sec when she says "pedestrian mall". Pedrestrian mall is (also known as a pedestrian street) is the most common form of pedestrian zone in large cities. It is a street lined with storefronts and closed off to most automobile traffic. ...

So, in the case of pedestrianisation of 25 de março street, we may refer to the area as pedestrian mall.

Thak you! :D
Avatar do usuário felipeh6 2170 7 53
Hi,

Of course this is not an easy and simple task, but we need more and new roads. There's a lot of new cars and other vehicles being sold every day and nothing is being done to build new alternative roads. And, no doubt, it's necessary to create an intelligent system of public transportation... we are far away from that...

That's it!
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
felipeh6 escreveu:[...] There's a lot of new cars and other vehicles being sold every day and nothing is being done to build new alternative roads.[...]

The whole system got us spinning a vicious circle. I think every sold car should come complete with a free two-lane road for it to roll on. In any direction. I mean, a two-lane road would provide enough room for a car. Even for drunk drivers who insist on zig-zagging or swerving off course despite their best efforts to keep their cars going straight.
Avatar do usuário Frank Florida 210 5
The only two things I've ever seen to truly improve traffic conditions in a mega metropolis are roundabouts (traffic circles) and subway or skytrain networks...

~ Frank Florida ~
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
You can now buy cars that fly, provided you have loads of money. And a bit of courage.

I consider flying better than driving, though.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!
Avatar do usuário felipeh6 2170 7 53
Marcio_Farias escreveu:You can now buy cars that fly, provided you have loads of money. And a bit of courage.

I consider flying better than driving, though.

That's really far away from our daily routines! If we are not able to organize our roads, imagine that on the air! :?