What would your reaction be to a personal tragedy?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Question: What would your reaction be to a personal tragedy?

Examples of tragedies:

• you accidentally killed a person;
  • a powerful tsunami came and caught you while you strolled on the shore;
  • the airplane in which you flew as a passenger suddenly malfunctioned and started to crash;
  • the passenger ship in which you journeyed suddenly started to sink with not a lifeboat to row away in;
  • the Sun suddenly grew so large as to gobble up Earth with everyone on it.

(Creativity was estimulated by Márcio Farias)

Examples of answers:

• If I accidentally killed a person I would call the police and tell the true story. If I'm innocent, they can do nothing against me.
  • If I knew any of the tragedies above were about to happen, I would run to mother's house and cry for help;

Now it's your turn!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário felipeh6 2170 7 53
I would say: Dude! We are lost! :shock: :lol:

Sorry about this answer, but it was the first thing that appeared in my mind. I just could not write anything else.

Of course, in a serious situation, it would be really different and let me say I expect that I do not need to feel it.
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
Flavia.lm escreveu:Question: What would your reaction be if - you accidentally killed a person;

I'd go to the Boa Viagem police precinct and turn myself in. Whether taken in for questioning or not, I'd give the police a detailed account of how I accidentally killed the person. I know I'd probably have to wait in prison for judgment and I'd plead guilty to an accidental death on oath at judgment. Then I'd try to convince the dead person's family of an accidental death, not death on purpose. But would they believe me...

... if a powerful tsunami came and caught me while I casually strolled on the shore...

I'd probably get hit by a big obstacle or floating debris. Either that or the ensuing surf would likely pull me down and drown me.

... if the airplane in which I flew as a passenger suddenly malfunctioned and started to crash

I'd send up a prayer, close my eyes and hope for the best. (But you know the odds of walking away unscathed from the scene of an airplane crash--close to none.) Mamonas Assassinas, for one, never knew what hit them in the first place when their airplane hit the side of a mountain back in '96.

... if the passenger ship in which I journeyed suddenly started to sink with not a lifeboat to row away in

I'd attempt to swim away from the sinking ship as fast as I could, but not if I got hit by some of the ship debris (a falling anchor, a massive chimney crashing down on me, a big hungry white shark viciously biting my sorry butt or wolfing me down whole... and belching afterward, someone pulling at me not to drown himself/herself... and lots of unfortunate events such as trying to stay afloat in a storm while the sea waves repeatedly push me down... you name it.)

... if the Sun suddenly grew so large as to gobble up Earth with everyone on it

This horizon event would destroy Earth. The scorching giant sun would probably dry out all the rivers and oceans, frying the jumping fish, everything and everyone in sight. Yes, you guessed it right. The whole damned Earth would turn into a big ball of fire and then ashes. Face to face, ashes to ashes. The End. People wouldn't have a chance to turn on their fans for relief, for all I can think.
Over the years I have experienced several personal tragdies in assending order, the deaths of: fellow soldiers, both my parents, and the untimely departure of my first wife who was only 52 years old. Therefore I would use the 7 stages of grief to help me through accidently killing another person. Of course I would make sure my insurance would take care of the victim's survivors.

see http://www.recover-from-grief.com/7-sta ... grief.html

For each of the last four events listed I would apply the standard US Military procedure for the following event.

The event: You see a blinding flash of light nearby, followed by a fire ball and then a mushroom cloud. :o :shock: :cry:

The standard procedure: You bend over placing your head between your legs, hold your right buttock with your left hand and your left buttock with your right hand and then kiss both of them good bye. :lol:
If a powerful tsunami came and caught me while I strolled on the shore, I would bury myself in the sand, very deep, and when the tsunami got calmer, I would get out of the sand and swim until I emerge and swim to solid grown :D
(I'm trying to figure out how I would bury myself in the sand so quickly...)