Why, when and how did you start studying English?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
I started studying English when I was a 9-year-old brat and, weird as I was, begged my mom and dad to send me to an English school. So they did. Mom, dad, thanks - it was the best investment!

When I started, there was no internet, nor were there language schools in every corner. So, my parents had to find a private tutor. The 1st English school my neighboorhood had came around only 2 years later - and it still exists (the name is Just In Time)! Great times!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 15 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores e linguistas certificados. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Van-Spirandeo escreveu:I started studying English when I was a 9-year-old brat and, weird as I was, begged my mom and dad to send me to an English school. So they did. Mom, dad, thanks - it was the best investment!

When I started, there was no internet, nor were there language schools in every corner. So, my parents had to find a private tutor. The 1st English school my neighboorhood had came around only 2 years later - and it still exists (the name is Just In Time)! Great times!

Vanessa,

If you, as a teacher, do not mind I would like to make a couple of suggestions in the form of a rewrite of your last paragraph.

"When I started there was no internet, nor were there language schools on every corner. So, my parents had to find a private tutor. The first English school in my neighborhood, appropriately named "Just in Time" , opened about two years later, and it is still in operation today! What great times those were!

If you do not mind please let me know what you think about the changes, your honest and frank opinion would be appreciated. I think that it reads more like what an American might say or write.
i started studying english when i was on middle school around 5 grade i always loved english after I graduated high school I keep doing English lessons and learning continues to this day
I started studying English when I was 14 years old and still looking to improve myself in language, especially in conversation, because I don't have too many friends who speak English fluently. I always liked the language, my father always encouraged me to study, then put me in a school called Fisk, and I discovered that when you learn something you like, do not ever forget.
I don't think there is a reason for I started studying English.
I just like the language, ever since I can rememeber.

However, I never had the opportunity to study in an English School.
Since I was about 14 or 15, I started listenning to music and trying to translate them, as well as watching movies with English subtitles.

Not like a duty, but just for fun.

In the last year, a friend of mine told me about English Experts, and since them I've been visiting the site to improve my skills.

By the way, this is my very first post in the Forum, so please correct me if I did any mistake.
I started to learning english because I love this language and also because I wanna visit America, in special the New York city. Since three or four years ago, I thought that I'd make something to start to learn english, so I read some books and magazines, listened songs in english and watched movies/series.
My biggest difficult to learn is grammar, is so hard LOL But I'll never desist ! ^^

take care!
xoxo
:*
I started studying English by the time I was fifteen, because I had attended to another school and my teacher was requiring us a little more about that language that I wasn't good at. I got desperated, since I had come from a poor school and I didn't learn English as much as I could do. I waited for two or three weeks until realize an English course was necessary in order to get good grades and also, learn this important and cool language.

I remember that I said to my dad: if I don't take some extra English classes, I will not be able to understand classes and which it's worst, not capable to be approved in that subject. By this way, my father paid me a English course near home and my future in that subject was safed. In fact, after some simple extra classes it was crystal clear that my teacher was requiring us only ordinary concepts and I could realize I would have to study English a lot, day after day, in order to learn it as much as it's essential nowadays for who wants to compete in the workplace. Now I am studying engineering and it's certain speaking English with confidence, with a good level, is almost an obligation.

These days I've studied it by myself and I am glad with the results, you know.
I started studying english when I was 7-9 (I am not sure) at Yázigi (and I do it till nowadays). I started to study because my daddy thought english was fundamental for my life.

I'm still doing english class (at Yázigi) and at school.
oh...

I started studying two years ago, at Fisk. Why i began? Simple! For two things: An anime and a book. The anime just have in japanese with translation in English. The book - with i already say here - is the best! the best book of thriller that i read. So, i decided bought the book in english because the other ( 5 -10 ) don't have in Brazil. Now, i can read it. There problems, but i don't care
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido? Em 6 meses você pode elevar o seu inglês a um novo patamar.

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!
I've studied English for years, that is, since I was a child. My first contact with the English language was when I lived in Natal (RN), Northeast Brazil. After, my family has moved to Belém (PA), Northern Brazil, where I started learning English again. Learn a different language and know people from outside Brazil were the main reasons for studying English. Today, I buy english books and magazines to practice and talk with some foregn friends .