Would have been vs. Would be + Past

Hey guys,

What is the difference between these two statements in terms of context ? Are both grammatically correct?

The video would be presented to every person, but the computer did not work.

The video would have been presented to every person, but the computer did not work.

TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
3 respostas
Leonardo96 18 289
None of these is ideal in this specific sentence. In this case you want to say "the video was going to...".

The structure with "would have been" could work too but to my thinking and judging from what sounds the most natural there would need to be an "if" thrown in, which would turn the sentence into "the video would have been presented to everyone if the computer was working". The structure "would have been" almost always seems to go with contexts about some type of scenario that could've played out differently, hence the "if" to describe what would have happened had it been that way, there needs to be this connection. "Would have been presented BUT the computer wasn't working" doesn't really sound right to me.
I got it. Nevertheless, if the meaning was different like:
-he told me that the video would be posted on the online platform … but I am not sure if it happened.
—— when he told me, the main action (about the video) is in the future, it is not finished, right?

Would the statement above has the same meaning as:
“he told me that the video would have been posted to everyone on the online platform … but I am not sure if it happened.” ?

In my opinion no, once the second statement means that in the moment that he was giving the information, the main action (posted the video) was finished… right ?
Leonardo96 18 289
Like I said, "would have been" only works when acting as an indicator of the way something would've played out had the circumstances been different. The rest of the sentence being "but I'm not sure if it happened" does not indicate that. These are examples of this structure being used correctly in sentences that do have said context:

He would have been one of the best players ever if he hadn't dealt with so many injuries.

The party would have been better if you were there.

The event would have been a disaster if it wasn't for your help.

So no, those two sentences don't have the same meaning as far as verb tense since the second one can't even be used in such a sentence in the first place. The overall context is probably still understandable, but it sounds as if you didn't finish it the proper way and it went a different direction than expected. The one with "would be" is fine, though.