Take after sb x resemble sb/sth: Qual a diferença?

Avatar do usuário Rakell Grubert Pere 3385 3 6 65
Resemble sb/sth: to look like or be similar to another person or thing.

She resembles her mother.
These rocks resembles marble.

Take after sb: to look or behave like an older member of the family, usually mother or father.

Your son doesn't take after you or your wife. In my opinion, he resembles uncle John. What do think, Mary?

Eu aprendi que "take after" só pode ser usado para pessoas, é isso mesmo?
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário brasimericano 855 1 2 23
Yes, though I suppose that an animal could "take after" a "parent" in the sense of behaving in a similar manner.

You are also correct that "resembles" or "looks like" can also be used for things. You can use "reminds me of" with both people, animals and things.

Sarah reminds me of her mother.
This church reminds me of the church we saw in Germany.
Avatar do usuário Rakell Grubert Pere 3385 3 6 65
Rakell Grubert Pere escreveu:Resemble sb/sth: to look like or be similar to another person or thing.

She resembles her mother.
These rocks resembles marble.

Take after sb: to look or behave like an older member of the family, usually mother or father.

Your son doesn't take after you or your wife. In my opinion, he resembles uncle John. What do think, Mary?

Eu aprendi que "take after" só pode ser usado para pessoas, é isso mesmo?

Please, in " these rocks resembles ..." read RESEMBLE. And where I wrote "what do think, Mary? , read " what do YOU think,Mary?
Avatar do usuário Daniel Reis 940 1 15
Olá pessoal,

Seria certo eu dizer:

I take after my mother in my eyes' color. - Puxei a minha mãe na cor dos meus olhos.
That bad habit, I take after from my father. - Esse mau hábito puxei do meu pai.

Valeus
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 39785 6 32 695
"Take after"
A) tem duas vertentes, "puxar" à alguém, e "sair a semelhança/saiu a alguém da família etc." (que pode ser referente a algum traço de caráter ou outros). Por vezes os significados podem ser intercambiáveis, outras vezes não.

Lazy? He takes after his father.

She takes after me with her love of horses.
Ela se saiu a mim...
Ela parece comigo...
Ela puxou a mim...
(não necessariamente significariam a mesma coisa...depende do contexto.)

B) também pode significar "seguir o exemplo" de alguém.
Don't take after your older brother—he's a bad influence. (definição 2 da entrada "take after")

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/take+after

http://michaelis.uol.com.br/moderno/ing ... lavra=take
Avatar do usuário Daniel Reis 940 1 15
Olá,

Mas e sobre as duas frases acima que postei, estão corretas?

Valeus
I am not going to say you have a mistake, but a more natural way (to my thinking) would be:

I take/took after my mother eye color.
I took my eye (or skin etc) color after my mother.

(I favour the "took", instead of "take", but in colloquial conversation/music, everything is allowed.)

My mom has dark brown and my dad has dark blue and I took after him.

Anyway, there are cases in wich "take" is likely, advisable indeed.
I can't make up my mind on what parent I take my eye colour after.

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/cityandc ... imist.html

Then there's my father he's always looking on the bright side
Saying things like “Son life just ain’t that hard”
He is the grand optimist, I am the world’s poor pessimist
You give him burdens sometimes and he will escape unscarred

I guess I take after my mother, I guess I take after my mother.

Here doensn´t matter if "take/took", since the focus is on a trait of the guy, right now! Not the genes passed on years/decades before, it´s not of
That he is talking about.

===================================
And, finally; other ways to say that:

I've picked up on my dad's bad habit.
I've inherited this same thing, but from my mother. (about some habit.)

And one aside note:
Again, the context is to provide if he/she is talking about "puxar" (o que sugere algo de herança genética.) or "ser similar/sair à alguém da família/ser igual ao/por fazer algo que o outro indivíduo fazia" (o que faz "lembrar" automaticamente o outro.)
So, context would fill the gap.

In my day I would've controlled the field, as I took after my father as far as physical  endurance and ball control.
Here, it pretty much suggests that the guy is talking about genetic inheritance.
One more thing! I think that technically, one don´t take after his parent´s bad habits (if we think of genetics). Think of a liar, for example, nobody can´t say his habit may or may not be determined from the genetics (would it be in defense of a defendant in court? and what about people being singled out for having genetical defects that would make him liars?)

So, I think it´s not being a bit literal when someone says he/she "takes after his/her parents" in this aspect, say, a manner of speaking. Of course.
We usually say someone "takes" after their father/mother -- not "took" (unless said person is dead).
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!
Thanks, Luiza. Insightful indeed! :P