Uso da palavra "doubt"

agnoudo 10
Eu tenho uma dúvida sobre a palavra "doubt"
É correto dizer ( I have a doubt about that.) (I have a doubt on this topic)
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você confunde “then” com “than”? Fica em dúvida se usa o artigo “a” ou “an”? Baixe agora o Guia da English Live e tenha uma lista de 10 palavras em inglês que causam bastante confusão, com explicações fáceis de entender e atividades para colocar em prática tudo que aprendeu.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data

Flavia.lm 3960 1 9 90
Agnoudo,

O uso dessa palavrinha "doubt" é realmente bastante delicado.

Vou te contar um segredo: uma vez eu quase chorei lendo um artigo aqui do blog.
Veja o link abaixo, e principalmente o segundo comentário, da teacher Mary.
https://www.englishexperts.com.br/i-hav ... -question/

No dia que eu li esse artigo, fiz uma busca em meus e-mails enviados e encontrei uns 200 onde eu terminava com "Should you have any doubt, please contact me" (foi nessa parte que eu quase chorei, de raiva!!! Passei meses e meses dizendo para diversos colegas que eu achava que eles duvidavam de mim!!!).

agnoudo 10
Flavia obrigado pelo esclarecimento.

Henry Cunha 10070 3 16 179
Hmmmm

I guess I've been using "if you have any doubts, please feel" etc. all my life without realizing I was commiting some faux pas. Me and 268,000 people on Google. Notice I used "doubts," which is what most people do.

Somehow, Flávia, I doubt you need to worry about how your respondents reacted to your willingness to resolve any of their doubts.

I explain the usage this way. Someone may be in doubt about something, but for some reason (embarrassment, politeness, etc.), doesn't want to let you know, much less ask a question that would expose him (or you) to ridicule. So he doesn't have, or avoids having, a question -- at least not one he would dare ask. So, when you say, please ask if any doubt persists, you're actually exhorting someone to not worry about it, and to feel free to ask the question.

Doubts may also exist that have not been, or cannot be, so easily translated into questions. Thus the prompting, "I'm not sure your question actually reflects what you're worried about." Or, "I've answered your question but I don't think I've removed all the doubts, am I right?"

I actually like the expression now!

How about that ubiquitous word, "undoubtedly"? You've no doubt seen it around?

Regards

Marcio_Farias 12530 1 23 211
You'd probably have a question as in "I have a/this question about word order," "Does word X necessarily have to follow word y?" or simply "Word order question," which you'd probably leave it clearly spelled out in the topic window or in the write box (edit box, whatever).

I've seen people word it (not necessarily) like this: "This question has long bothered me etc.," "Does anyone have the correct word worder for a couple of misplaced adjectives, I wonder," and a few or a thousand inquiring minds will ask it a few or thousand different ways. No strict pattern to follow here, when it comes to asking a discussion forum a question. Or request for information.

I gotta stop writing. I have some talking to catch up on, but having no one to do it with makes a guy's English kind of rusty.

Donay Mendonça 58050 22 97 1386
Hi Folks,

Would it be fair to judge someone´s English by these "small" mistakes that often occur?When can someone say they´re ready to start teaching?How can one avoid silly mistakes that might spoil everything?It´s simple:There´s always something you still should know...One never knows enough.

;)

Flavia.lm 3960 1 9 90
Henry, that's quite comforting to know I was not comming such a disaster in my sentences. I had gotten really speechless when reading Mary's comment in the link I mentioned, once she does state that "doubt" refers to "disbelief".

Thank you for the doubts and faux pas, as well ;)
donay mendonça escreveu:There´s always something you still should know...One never knows enough.
Definitely! I mean, undoubtedly! :D

Flavia.lm 3960 1 9 90
1 - correction: I intended to write "commiting a disaster", not "comming". By the way, the right collocation is not "commit", but "cause".

2 - coincidentally or not, teacher Mary seems to be online :D

Marcio_Farias 12530 1 23 211
Me again. I made several mistakes from beginning to end. Just to cite a single one, my precious little "which you'd probably leave it clearly spelled out" sentence should have read, "which you'd probably leave clearly..." minus an it. [begin remorse] Perhaps, a "which you'd do best to put in the topic box..." proposition would have worked wonders, but no miracles. No matter how hard I try, I'll often make them. [/end remorse]

Please bear with me on that. I promise I'll level up and try again, not to disappoint you. Thank you for reading thus far. ;)

MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Sabia que o inglês tem punctuation marks (pontuações) exclusivas? Agora, você pode aprender todas elas. Baixe o guia grátis da English Live, saiba como usá-las e melhore ainda mais sua escrita em inglês!

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!