Tradução de "Star Spangled Banner"

Avatar do usuário Cinnamon 13380 14 35 288
Guys, I am a music buff... Even the US. national anthem I like.
The title I think is a little "different", maybe weird.
I've seen the translation into Portuguese: bandeira estrelada
Is just that? Why do they use spangled, and why do they use banner not flag?
I know it should be a silly question, but is it old English?
That's it!

:roll:

Mais Votada Mais Votada

Avatar do usuário Marcos 3345 4 17 71
Hello Cinnamon,

I've seen the translation into Portuguese: bandeira estrelada
Is just that? Why do they use spangled, and why do they use banner not flag?

First, there is no such thing as silly questions, every question is a step closer to something new ( A.K.A knowledge). ;)

So I couldn't find any proper information that could in fact justify the reason behind the choices related to the U.S. flag, but yes, I believe that saying "bandeira estrelada" is correct since it implies that it is full of stars.

Star-spangled: Spotted or spangled with stars as the star-spangled banner, the national flag of the United States.

As for the use of banner instead of flag, I've found that banner is from Old French baniere (Modern French bannière) which stands for "flag, banner or standard" from Late Latin bandum.

References:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?sea ... led+Banner
http://www.finedictionary.com/Star-spangled.html > Here you'll find a lot of different usages for start-spangled.

Cool, uh?
Well, that's all the info I can provide. :|

See ya!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
That is awesome! I think knowing origin of words and stuff like that is really helpful... Thank you Marcos,
Keep doing your best, or like in a song that I love "so make the best, of this test and don't ask why..." Thank you all... :mrgreen: