Do you believe in flying saucers and UFOs?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Question: Do you believe in flying saucers and UFOs?

Examples of answers:

- Yes and I'm afraid of them.
- No, though I don't think we Terrestrians are alone in the universe.
- Yes. By the way, I've already seen one. And also some little green extraterrestrians.

Now it's your turn!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Yes, in spite of I have never seen one. But my grandfather saw UFOs twice and I believe in his words, by the way, he saw one flying over some streets for two minutes, very slowly, about one metre above the floor. He followed that one by car, but there was another person with him, who started getting scared, so he had to run away.

As we see on The X-Files, I want to believe!

To be honest I saw something strange once, but it was too much fast, that I am not sure to tell anything about that. I would like to see something credible sometime in order to have some weird history to tell anyone, as my grandfather does.
ENG_rafael escreveu:Yes, in spite of I have never seen one. But my grandfather saw UFOs twice and I believe in his words, by the way, he saw one flying over some streets for two minutes, very slowly, about one metre above the floor. He followed that one by car, but there was another person with him, who started getting scared, so he had to run away.

As we see on The X-Files, I want to believe!

To be honest I saw something strange once, but it was too much fast, that I am not sure to tell anything about that. I would like to see something credible sometime in order to have some weird history to tell anyone, as my grandfather does.

Refael,

Please insert the following changes in your post, and let me know, etc.

... in spite of having never seen... I believe his words, ... about one meter above the ground.

... it was moving much too fast, for me to know for sure what it was.
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
No, I don't. I have never seen an UFO. If UFOs exist, then they must move so silently and so surreptitiously many might miss them.
Bill,

After reading your changes, I had one doubt.

You wrote "in spite of having never seen...". In this version, is there no explicit subject in the construction? I guess you made this because the subject is unnecessary, it is clear who it is. Or I am wrong, am not I supposed to put any subject in this kind of sentence? Please, tell me what I have to think about that.

I made some search about believe rather than believe in, as you changed in my text, and after that I have get the whys of my misunderstanding.

Thank you in advance!
ENG_rafael escreveu:Bill,

After reading your changes, I had one doubt.

You wrote "in spite of having never seen...". In this version, is there no explicit subject in the construction? I guess you made this because the subject is unnecessary, it is clear who it is. Or I am wrong, am not I supposed to put any subject in this kind of sentence? Please, tell me what I have to think about that.

I made some search about believe rather than believe in, as you changed in my text, and after that I have get the whys of my misunderstanding.

Thank you in advance!

Rafael,

The complete sentence would read, "Yes, in spite of having never seen one." The subject is "one" which refers back to the original subject of flying saucers and UFO's.

I hope this explination clarifies your questions.
Once upon a time there was ... "ops" wrong preface. :lol:

Many years ago, I was assigned to an Army Air Defense Headquarters, and was watching a radar dispay scope with several other soldiers, when we observed a target return moving very fast from East to West. At first we thought it might have been a satellite in decaying orbit, but quickly realized that satellites never are launched East to West, due to the physics of the energy required. At this point in time we decided it must be a meteor, but then it turned ninty degrees to the South and not only maintained is impossibly high speed of greater than Mach 3.2 (3,530 km/hr), but accelerated slightly, while climbing to an altitude above 100,000 feet (30,500 meters).

We contacted our higher headquarters, and were bumped up to the Strategic Air Command who told us that we did not see anything and that we had an equipment malfunction, we were further ordered to immediately erase the tape of the radar track, check our equipment and forget the entire incident.

Fifteen years later when the Air Force declassified an aircraft and some of it's capabilities, I finally realized that we had been tracking the SR 71 Blackbird, and not a flying saucer.

To at last answer the question, I do believe there is life in other solar systems, but not in flying saucers. :D

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird
Bill,

Alright, your explanation clarified my doubt, since after that I am able to accept your change. But yet, did you correct my version because it is incorrect or awkward? It is all I need to know for now.

By the way, my version is "... in spite of I have never seen ...".

Thank you!
ENG_rafael escreveu:Bill,

Alright, your explanation clarified my doubt, since after that I am able to accept your change. But yet, did you correct my version because it is incorrect or awkward? It is all I need to know for now.

By the way, my version is "... in spite of I have never seen ...".

Thank you!

Rafael,

Both, :lol: your original post was incorrect and very awkward, howerer the corrections were made to show the correct construction, etc. ;)
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido? Em 6 meses você pode elevar o seu inglês a um novo patamar.

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!
Bill,

Thanks for your help and patience! :D
I will pay attention to this kind of construction in order to write correctly day after day.

See you!