Have you ever felt an earthquake?

Regras do fórum
Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Flavia.lm 4060 1 10 94
Question: Have you ever felt an earthquake?

Examples of answers:

- Yes, once I was in Japan and I felt a shallow earthquake. Fortunatelly nobody got hurt.
- No, but I always get very impressed when I watch catastrophes such as the one that ocurred in Haiti in 2010.

Now it is your turn!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 15 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores e linguistas certificados. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
10 respostas
Ordenar por: Data

Marcio_Farias 12560 1 23 212
I did feel a minor temblor back in '67 or '68 on my deceased uncle's farm in Caruaru - PE. I felt the land shake and rumble a bit for a few seconds. I remember dropping a lit cigarette alongside the feed trough I rested on.

What would a 20.0 magnitude earthquake ensue, had we ever had the opportunity to live through one?

Frank Florida 210 5
I used to live in Japan for a couple of months in 2008 and I probably experienced half a dozen earth quakes during that time... it's extremely common there. Most of them were pretty small, but we had a big one as well and a nuclear power plant up north got hit... we were constantly listening to the radio, hoping there wouldn't be a meltdown. I left Japan soon thereafter... building nuclear power plants on tectonic fault lines just didn't sound like a very good idea to me at all... :? But the experience certainly taught me to live every day as if it was my last!

felipeh6 2255 7 56
Marcio_Farias escreveu:I did feel a minor temblor back in '67 or '68 on my deceased uncle's farm in Caruaru - PE. I felt the land shake and rumble a bit for a few seconds. I remember dropping a lit cigarette alongside the feed trough I rested on.

What would a 20.0 magnitude earthquake ensue, had we ever had the opportunity to live through one?
Hi Marcio,

Here is a list of highest earthquakes in history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_earthquakes

Regards!

Rurouniken
Hello Everyone!
I haven't.. But i'm sure that is very powerful and dangerous, by the way my aunt have been lived almost 14 years in Japan and she told me that she ever felt a Earthquake and she was in her house when began it and she also told me that is terrible because you fell the floor and the stuffs shaking and falling on the floor.. Should be really powerful this.

Henry Cunha 10170 3 16 182
Of course!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você ainda se confunde com os tempos verbais em inglês? Faça o download do Guia de Tempos Verbais em Inglês oferecido pela English Live. Ele tem um resumo bem estruturado para você revisar os conceitos que aprendeu na escola.

Download do Guia em PDF - Grátis!

Fernanda Shimizu 10
Yes, I live in Japan, so you'll understand that feeling an earthquake is part of my daily routine.
I am so used to it, that when things start shaking, I just stand still where I am, wondering if I should run. I often joke that probably I will die while wondering whether I should run or not...

PPAULO 54135 6 43 973
I was watching TV in my parent´s, since I was Insomniac that night.
Don´t remember if it was Novemver or December, 1986 (more likely to be December).
It was on rural Rio Grande do Norte state, it was a place in-between Vera Cruz and Bom Jesus. The only sound was of the TV set, that I had turned the volume down not to wake up them, it was like a softly whisper almost. The sounds of crickets could be heard.
On about 5 o´clock, or whereabouts, I heard this noise as a if a train would come in our direction (only that there was no train to be seen for hundreds of kilometers away). The cups in the cupboard clinking and rattling, the thermos on the table dancing madly. The hens cackled in despair, I wasn´t out but I know they looked one another, in puzzlement.
Dogs barked, people wake up and didn´t know what had happened, and not what was happening, since the duration of the tremor was of some minutes.
The other day it was the subject of the day, everybody talked about it, the buzzword.
Radio and mainstream media assessed the damages, Joao Camara city (about 130 km/81 miles far from us) had been the epicenter and was pretty damaged, some houses went down, others pretty damaged.
In the end, there it caused one death, plenty of homeless and many people abandoned that city and never went back, afraid of a repeat.
Indeed some minor tremors came after that, none like that.
It was quite scary, altough I had no reaction, I didn´t had experienced such things before. But the noise and the ground vibration was the scary part.
And that, of such distance of the epicenter, I can imagine how it was there!

Don´t know for sure, but it seems that today, after all that, the houses are more safely built. Maybe not with advanced technology like the one of Japan, etc, but I think these houses are stronger today that they were. Not that cream-cracker walls that they were made.

The UPI agency published the news, it deserved mere 70 words or so!

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sismo_de_J ... ra_de_1986

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 244,726763

http://reliefweb.int/report/brazil/braz ... eport-no-1

PPAULO 54135 6 43 973
Little correction:
...but I think these houses today are built stronger today than they were.

Must have others, but are minor mistakes, this was a gross one! so, buddies, forgive me this time. It was because of lack of sleep. ;)

kungfuadam 130 5
When I was a child growing up in southern California, I felt numerous earthquakes. Now I was in the Los Angeles area when I "felt" the giant Northridge quake. If I remember, that was over 7.0 on the Richter scale. That was enough to throw dishes out of the cupboards and cause a big mess inside. However, the house escaped with no damage.

Dourado 1115 2 23
I was in Montes Claros (northern Minas Gerais) in December of 2012, when a small earthquake hit the city (there were a few, the strongest one at 5-point-something on the Richter scale), but I slept right through it :lol:

In 2010, when an 8.8-earthquake and tsunami hit the coast of Chile, I had left the country about a week before! That was a close call!

MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você já ouviu dizer que para dominar o inglês é preciso pensar em inglês? Aprenda alguns métodos no guia Como Pensar em inglês da English Live. Ele tem dicas que ajudarão você a melhorar o vocabulário e leitura.

Download do Guia em PDF - Grátis!