Have you ever thought how great it is to be able to speak a language? What about being able to communicate in a second one? Communication itself is vital and it happens in different ways; but without the spoken language things would be…well, it’s hard to imagine how things would be.
Thinking of languages, a small selection of quotes and insights was put together for you. Enjoy!
- “Avoid the word ‘very’ because it’s lazy. A man is not very tired; he is exhausted. Don’t use very sad, use morose. Language was invented for one reason, boys — to woo women — and in that endeavour, laziness will not do.” Professor John Keating in the film The Dead Poets Society, played by Robin Williams
- “Our language is funny — a fat chance and slim chance are the same thing.” J. Gustav White
- “Never make fun of someone who speaks broken English. It means they know another language.” H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- “Not only does the English language borrow words from other languages, it sometimes chases them down dark alleys, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets.” Eddy Peters
- “I speak two languages: Body and English.” Mae West
- “Me fail English? That unpossible!” Ralph Wiggum (The Simpsons)
- “Language is the means of getting an idea from my brain into yours without surgery.” Mark Amidon
- “Language is the dress of thought.” Samuel Johnson
- “If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.” Nelson Mandela
- “A different language is a different vision of life.” Federico Fellini
Experimente por 30 dias o Curso de Inglês do English Experts.
- Proverbia – Language Quotes on 18/8/2014
- Best Quotes About Language on 18/8/2014
- The Quote Garden! on 18/8/2014
- Famous Quotes About English Language on 18/8/2014
- 25 Comical Quotes About the Confusing English Language on 18/8/2014