Os esportes são parte básica da vida do norte-americano e por isso a língua inglesa traz inúmeras expressões idiomáticas relativas aos esportes. Check them out!
1. (to be way) off base – to be completely wrong
I know I may be way off base here, but didn’t you and your girlfriend break up?
2. to come out of left field – to be completely unexpected
Gary was having a romantic dinner with his girlfriend when he mentioned that her nose was too big. That surely came out of left field.
3. dirty pool – unethical or unfair behavior
Robert let all the air out of my tires so I couldn’t get to my job interview. Then he went to the interview himself and got hired. That was dirty pool!
4. to have the ball in one’s court – to be responsible for taking the next action
I have apologized to Mark twice and he still won’t talk to me. Now the ball is in his court.
5. to play hardball – to behave or compete aggressively or ruthlessly
Be careful when you negotiate with Mr. Grant. He has a tendency to play hardball.
6. right off the bat – instantly
I fell in love with the car right off the bat and bought it that very day.
7. to settle the score – to get revenge
I’m tired of Sheila spreading rumors about me. I’m ready to settle the score!
8. to score – to succeed in seducing someone
Can you believe Ed tried to score with Mrs. Tillman, the History teacher?
9. to tackle – to try to solve a problem, usually aggressively
This is a huge problem we have to tackle before the year ends.
10. to throw in the towel – to admit defeat by quitting, to quit
No matter how hard the job is or how many challenges I have to overcome, I won’t throw in the towel.
11. to throw someone a curve – to surprise someone in a negative way
When Mark called me I thought he was going to ask me for my opinion on what to get his wife for their 20th anniversary. Turns out they were getting divorced. That really threw me a curve.
12. to touch base with someone – to keep contact with someone
We need to discuss this more thoroughly but there’s no more time. Let’s touch base tomorrow.
See you next time!
Hora de PraticarO nosso parceiro está oferecendo 15 minutos de Aula Grátis para você colocar em prática o que acabou de aprender. Não perca essa oportunidade.
Acessar Código Promocional