w.slayman escreveu:When do you use de or do, or da as in Rio de Janeiro, Foz do Iguacu, and Lagoa da Prata.
are used when the following word accepts the article o
- The do is used when the word is masculine.
- The da is used when the word is feminine.
is used when the following word doesn't accept the article o
and also to talk about something in general, without specific it.
On the examples you've quoted, it's used:
And one more thing
- de in Rio de Janeiro because janeiro (January) is a month and months doesn't accept articles. In dates, de is also used: 30 de outubro is always right and 30 do(a) outubro is never used.
- do in Foz do Iguaçu because it refers to the Rio Iguaçu and rio is a masculine word and accepts the article o.
- da in Lagoa da Prata because prata is a feminine word and accepts the article a.
: in the title of this topic, you wrote de ou do ou da
and I guess it's wrong. Ou
is used just one time. So, it should be de, do ou da
I hope I have helped.