American Slang e Jargon (parte 3)

josneywat 6
AMERICAN SLANG & JARGON (PART 3)
The business expressions and slang terms are presented (indicated in boldface) as they may be heard in an actual conversation. A translation of the dialogue in Standard English is always given afterwards followed by an important phonetic version of the dialogues as it would actually be spoken by a native-born American.
Pay attention to them and enjoy yourself!

DIALOGUE IN SLANG

Rick has good news for his partner, Dan.

Rick: I just looked at the books today and we're finally in the black! We should be making money hand over fist in no time. And you tough this company was going to go belly up!
Dan: Well, you have to admit we've been spending big bucks for the past eight months. Even our new computer system cost an arm and a leg. I don't mean to sound like a penny pincher but frankly, I still think we were throwing money down a rat hole. You can bet your bottom dollar that the computer salesman is getting some kickback for the sale, too.
Rick: I don't know why you're always so worried we're going to nickel-and-dime ourselves out of business. Look, the bottom line is that the company's finally turning a profit even though it had a few lean years. I think we should go celebrate over lunch and since I know you're short on cash, I'll even pick up the check. Besides, you floated me a loan last week and now we can call it even.
Dan: Well, if you're going to bankroll the meal, I'm accepting! Besides, I'm flat broke today.

DIALOGUE IN STANDARD ENGLISH

Rick: I just looked at the financial records today and we're finally making a profit! We should be making money continuously in no time. And you tough this company was going to fail!
Dan: Well, you have to admit we've been spending a lot of money for the past eight months. Even our new computer system was extremely expensive. I don't mean to sound like a miser but frankly, I still think we were wasting our money. You can bet all your money that the computer salesman is getting some unethical payment for the sale, too.
Rick: I don't know why you're always so worried we're going to ruin our business financially. Look, the central issue is that the company's finally making a profit even though it had a few lean years. I think we should go celebrate over lunch and since I know you're lacking cash, I'll even pay for your meal. Besides, you loaned me a loan last week and now we can cancel the debt.
Dan: Well, if you're going to buy the meal, I'm accepting! Besides, I'm completely without money today.

DIALOGUE IN SLANG AS IT WOULD BE HEARD

Rick: I jus' lookt'it the books t'day 'n we´re fin'lly in the black! We should be making money hand over fist 'n no time. And you tough this company was going to go belly up!
Dan: Well, ya have to admit we've been spending big bucks fer the past eight months. Even our new computer system cost 'n arm 'n a leg. I don't mean to soun' like a penny pincher but frankly, I still think we were throwing money down a rat hole. You can bet ch'r bodom dollar that the computer salesm'n's geding s'm kickback fer the sale, too.
Rick: I dunno why y're always so worried we're going to nickel-'n-dime ourselves out of business. Look, the bottom line is that the company´s fin'lly turning a profit even though it had a few lean years. I think we should go celebrate over lunch and since I know y'r shord on cash, I´ll even pick up the check. B'sides, you floated me a loan last week an' now we c'n call it even.
Dan: Well, if y'r going to bankroll the meal, I'm accepting! B'sides, I´m flat broke t'day.

Sabe a resposta? Seja um colaborador(a)! Ao responder questões no English Experts você ganha pontos de Reputação. Se você atua na área de idiomas, suas participações na comunidade podem ser uma ótima vitrine para o seu trabalho.

Registre-se agora e faça parte!
Colabore