Como dizer "Abandonar um hábito" em inglês

Simon Vasconcelos 4335 7 85
To go cold-turkey

Singleton went cold-turkey, experienced an epileptic fit and was hospitalised for several months. The Guardian
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe como está o seu nível de inglês? Teste seu inglês GRÁTIS em apenas alguns minutos. Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores e linguistas certificados. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
4 respostas
Ordenar por: Data

Thomas 14720 7 59 287
To go cold-turkey is usually used to mean "to stop an activity (such as taking an addictive drug, smoking, etc.) suddenly and completely".

In jest, it is often used for less addictive things such as talking on a cell phone, drinking coffee, buying shoes, etc.

Cold turkey does involve a slow, controlled withdrawl. If you smoke 20 cigarettes per day and you go cold turkey. you stop smoking cigarettes. Period. You don't smoke 15 on Monday, 10 on Wednesday, and 5 on Friday. You stop completely.

Donay Mendonça 61335 21 100 1490
Complemento:

Break/kick a habit (=stop doing something which is bad for you). - Longman

Rodzilla 30
I always thought the cold turkey was the kick-back after one's left an addiction, something like a 'crise de abstinência'. I always think of Lennon's song "Temperature is risin' / Fever is high / Can't see no future / Can't see no sky (...) Cold Turkey has got me on the run"

can you work this into your explanation, Thomas?

Thomas 14720 7 59 287
As we keep saying, songs are not a good place to learn a second language. I have no idea why the composer would use "cold turkey" in such a context.