Como dizer "uma salva de palmas" em inglês

Como dizer uma salva de palmas em inglês.

Ex.: Uma salva de palmas para o John!

Thank you in advance!

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
10 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Para dizer uma salva de palmas em inglês, utilize:

A round of applause

Exemplos de uso:
  • Let's have a round of applause for John! [Uma salva de palmas para o John!]
  • Give her a big round of applause! [Dêem a ela uma salva de palmas! Uma salva de palmas para ela!]
  • She got a round of applause. [Ela recebeu uma salva de palmas.]
Bons estudos.
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
hesleioliveira escreveu:Hello Tiago!

Yeah, I think the term you are looking for is "a round of applause"
Take a look here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_round_of_applause

And "Because in Portuguese..." is OK but you've made a little mistake in the beginning of the sentence due to the position of verb BE:
Tiago escreveu:PS: The sentence "Because in Portuguese ..." is correct?
While the correct form is: Is the sentence "Because in Portugese..." correct?

See ya! :)
And be careful with "the clap," Tiago. It´s not something you´d ever want to give anybody!
Henry Cunha escreveu:
hesleioliveira escreveu:Hello Tiago!

Yeah, I think the term you are looking for is "a round of applause"
Take a look here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_round_of_applause

And "Because in Portuguese..." is OK but you've made a little mistake in the beginning of the sentence due to the position of verb BE:
Tiago escreveu:PS: The sentence "Because in Portuguese ..." is correct?
While the correct form is: Is the sentence "Because in Portugese..." correct?

See ya! :)
And be careful with "the clap," Tiago. It´s not something you´d ever want to give anybody!
What do you mean? Are you trying to telling me that "clap" can mean "slap" or something like that? I didn't get it... :oops:
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
"The clap" is slang for gonorrhea, and common expressions are "to give the clap," or "to catch the clap." So the expression you used in your first posting ("Give her a clap.") is dangerously close to something you didn´t mean at all.

But this doesn´t contaminate at all expressions such as "We are/were clapping and cheering," or "Let´s all clap together."
quando eu assisto "So You Think You Can Dance", se entendo bem, a apresentadora diz "make some noise" e "put your hands togheter"... e então as pessoas batem palma, logo, concluo que sejam expressões para uma salva de palmas..
por favor, me corrijam se eu estiver errada!
COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
Eu também assito muito "So You Think You Can Dance", e a apresentadora costuma dizer, "Let's hear it for (someone)!"
Por exemplo, "Let's hear it for Benji" - Palmas pro Benji.

Cheers!

Priscilla
It can be: "Give him/her a big hand!"
Daniel.S 1 2 11
Gustavo:

essa seria certamente a minha sugestão (como vc muito bem colocou) , já que escuto americanos dizendo isso com bastante frequência e soa como "uma salva de palmas para ......"

Ex: 'Let's give all the contestents a big hand.'

http://www.usingenglish.com/reference/i ... +hand.html
Adriano Japan 1 2 21
*Adding:

give it up for = dar uma salva de palmas para...

→Example:
Let's give it up for Dr. Kimura!

FONTE
Thomas 7 62 296
You will also hear "Give some love to (name of person" or "Show your love to (name of person)".

As Henry said, don't give the clap to anyone.