Tradução de "go on for days on end"

Li essa expressão em um texto e acredito que signifique que tradicionamente a festa de casamento polonesa dura vários dias. É isso mesmo?
EX: Polish wedding traditionally go on for days on end.
"Tradicionalmente a festa de casamento Polonesa leva dias e dias"

Estou com dúvidas em utilizar essa expressão para outros contextos. Por exemplo, eu poderia utilizar a expressão acima para dizer que terminar a graduação de Engenharia leva anos e anos? Se sim como ficaria em inglês?

Se puderem colocar outros exemplos seria muito bom.

Obrigado

Mais Votada Mais Votada

Avatar do usuário Marcelo Pias 640 1 2 14
I'm not an expert but I can give you a helping hand.

According to the TheFreeDictionary:

[days/months/weeks etc.] on end
if something happens or continues for days, months etc. on end, it continues for several days, months, or weeks without stopping

Examples:
We sometimes don't see each other for months on end, but we're still good friends.
Sometimes she sang, but sometimes she remained completely silent for days on end.

Regarding "Levar anos e anos" I would say something like:

It takes many years.
It takes a long time.
It takes quite sometime.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 39205 6 32 684
For the engineering graduation I wouldn´t use such expression, unless I meant some boredness or that I was stuck up with something in the process of graduation. ''go on for days on end" rings, to me, some kind of surprise or being fed up, bored with something, or that something is taking eons to finish. Not the ''normal" it is expected to end.

So, "Engineering undergraduate education/Engineering graduation may drag for years/may take forever et cetera...

http://business.time.com/2013/01/10/the ... ge-degree/

See a "surprised/fed up/stuck into something" approach
(passages taken from the Internet.)

===============================================
Our schools are insanely overcrowded, and our neighborhoods have become little more than third word bazaars. Like you, I once enjoyed the quiet, tree lined streets where everyone knew each other, had respect for their neighbors and their neighbor’s property, and obeyed the law. Now, we are subject to loud parties, weddings that go on for days on end in private homes and yards, cars that are little more than boom-boxes on wheels, and homes meant for no more than two families turned into warrens of cubicles with mattresses on the floors.

You want to defend the shooting, you do that—Christ, we would all love to get to the point where there's a defense other than "the guy smoked pot" or "he wasn't just a jaywalker, he was a hardcore, thug jaywalker." But there is no defense—none—of the police actions from then until now. Pointing military-castoff rifles at reporters asking for directions is not okay in America, and to have this go on for days on end with absolutely no repercussions is a damn fine indication that whatever the residents say about their local law enforcement and how it treats them on a daily basis, they are very much damn right.

I could go on for days on end thanking each and every one of you by going into detail of experiences we've had, so I will keep it short and sweet. Thank you, to you all, for everything you've ever done for me.
(here the author is "surprised" in a positive way...)

Few are the director of the Festival's regrets. "I was never able to see Billy Holiday and Charlie Parker live, neither did I manage to bring here Eric Dolphy, who is for me one of the three great legends of music, but I was lucky enough to see him in Paris. Anyway, these artists died before we started the festival and Luis Armstrong too. We managed to get here all the artists who were alive when we started, so we had Duke Ellington in 1970, Ella Fitzgerald in 1971, Miles Davis in 1973 and in 1986, Sarah Vaughan in 1984, Charles Mingus in 1972, Stan Getz in 1981..." his list is long and it seems it might go on for days on end.

The subject is so fascinating that I could literally go on for days on end about it. However, I will spare you and end here…..for now! :) However, I could be persuaded to continue this conversation in another blog, if you all really try to convince me… *wink*

I could go on for days on end about the trip and how cool it was, but I'll spare you (for now) because that is not what this blog is about. Rather, this blog is about my return to Spain,...

.... and I could go on for days on end with all of Florida's nonsense.

Not everyone can afford to work unpaid internships for years on end.

And so, what will happen in Ireland is that as the economy improves, demand will be created for all sorts of untrained and trained individuals – from sales assistants to apprentices to graduates, many in areas that will not be cutting edge and many of which will surprise us. The improving economy will result in some heat being taken out of the education system because there will be greater opportunity for school leavers and less pressure to stay at college for years on end – often just for the sake of it.

But then college comes and such sentences as “I want to be an engineer” or “I want to be a physicist” become almost laughable. “Engineer” or “physicist” doesn’t even begin to describe the world of possible subjects there are to choose from, and it can all be a little overwhelming at times. I bet many of us have had doubts about whether the subject matter covered in the classroom can really help us make a difference in the world. What if we are wasting our time and money going to college for years on end, only to graduate and find we haven’t learning anything important?