Can you imagine Earth as big as Jupiter?

Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12290 1 21 206
Can you list all the pros and cons of having (or living in) a Jupiter-sized Earth?

Considering Jupiter could harbor more than a thousand Earths, distances from one point to another would more than double on Earth. For example, 5000 miles might correspond to 5000 x 1000 = 5,000,000 miles or more, and a trip from the North Pole to the South Pole might last a whole lifetime. I can't seem to imagine how sturdily we would face storms, hurricanes and tornados. Would these devastate even larger land areas and would tsunamis wash entire continents away, I wonder. Or ask.

Just let your imagination run away with you. You will in time pinpoint one or another advantage as far as living in a Jupiter-sized Earth goes. For one thing, it would take longer for humans to destroy the ozone layer or they would never succeed in destroying it at all.

Let's hear you on this.
Avatar do usuário Adriano Japan 760 1 17
No way man!
I rather think about how it could be great if earth was as big as Mars,or the Moon for instance..

Think about how free you could be, travelling all around the world, in a blink.. a trip to Europe taking less time than we need to get to Buenos Aires in our real Earth..
And you're asking me to think how it could be if the Earth was as big as Jupiter? :o
At least with a planet that big, we could have more time to "destruct" the planet before getting worried about the end of the natural resources.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Scientifically thinkin' a planet this big cannot have a solid surface,that's why jupiter is a gaseous planet.So this line of thought would be just an anruly part of our imagination.
I'm remembering now that there was a question on ENEM test this year about how many earths would fit in a jupiter.It was an easy one and I got it right:1334 earths.
Avatar do usuário Henry Cunha 9920 2 17 177
Certainly one of Sinatra's fondest wishes

Let's say it's possible. Let's the Earth is that big.

First thing: We would be MUCH heavier, because bigger planets have strongest gravity
Second thing: Travel would be very expensive, because distances would arise a lot
Third thing: We wouldn't be able to know about even half of the planet, even here we don't know everything
Fourth thing: Climate changes would be very severe in some parts, because for a planet that big, distances would play an even bigger part in climate
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12290 1 21 206
I thought (or envisioned) a solid planet, not the gaseous one we call Jupiter. Wouldn't we have plenty of room in a Jupiter-sized planet? Astronomers have only just started peering into the outer space and no telling how many planets lie out there that closely resemble Jupiter. You may picture billions--if not trillions--of planets, Jupiter-sized ones inclusive, slowly revolving on their axises, that might even harbor life. The theory that solid, big-sized planets, not necessarily Earth-like, exist holds then.

You can't simply dismiss that theory that easily. Just picture it. There'll come a day we'll depart from Earth, when the Sun turns into a giant, planet-gobbling red star. No doubt about it. To peacefully and orderly leave Earth we'll have to board a rocket, one so powerful as to take us all on to another planet for safety. We'll then have to colonize it from the start. By the time this happens, many of us will already have colonized the Moon and Mars (and probably settle on a few, slowly moving asteroids) before moving on into outer space. Just think of it. Don't let the peteca cair. Not yet.

In closing (after truly knowing I have so much worth mentioning left out), you wouldn't hang around when the Sun starts swallowing into a crescent giant red star and threatening to gobble Earth. For, my friend, it will be too damn hot when this happens.

That said, that's sad.