What are your New Year's Resolutions?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Question: What are your New Year's Resolutions?

Suggested replies:

- Quit smoking.
- To help others who are less fortunate.
- To study more and get better grades.
- To help around the house or apartment more.
- Quit fighting with my siblings.
- To stay on my diet until I loose _ pounds.
- To do one random act of kindness each day.

Now it's your turn!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário Adriano Japan 805 1 18
Quit breaking women's hearts.
But omg, I did it again.. :cry:
Adriano Japan escreveu:Quit breaking women's hearts.
But omg, I did it again.. :cry:

Adriano,

While I can find no fault with your grammar, I am wondering if I am correct in my assumption that you might have just a smidgen of shameless grandiosity with regards to your effect on the fairer gender. ;) :lol:

Words to increase your vocabulary: look up the words and their usages. :geek: :D
Assumption
Smidgen
Grandiosity
Effect versus affect
Avatar do usuário Adriano Japan 805 1 18
Last night while having a fine dining with a japanese (girl)friend, my chinese ... girlfriend? :mrgreen: and also my neighbour called me crying and telling she can't sleep since the New Year's Eve because I don't show up at home for a week.
She also said she's feeling sick and all that stuff.. :roll: I felt so sorry for her..but what can I do if my passion to Asian culture is so strong like this?
May be better show up tonight to check if everything's ok though.. :?

Ok, let's back to the topic.
In 2011 I hope can work more and more to link cultures, and also buy a new speed bike. ☆_☆
Good morning,

Since I suggested this topic I imagine I should let everyone know what my resolutions are.

1. I resolve to commit at least one random act of kindness each day. For you Boy Scouts to "Do a good turn each day".

2. I resolve to react with a smile, to rude and inconsiderate drivers, and to yield the right of way, as opposed to getting angry at them, and expressing my displeasure with a hand gesture. ;)

3. I resolve to continue trying to help my friends on English Experts with their studies of English.

To all, HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Well, I want to get better grades, in spite of I am ever studying a lot, maybe it is essential to be more confident. That is a life point I have worry about, sometimes I guess don't be confident as much as it is necessary in order to be who I am and what I do. Due to that, I promise to myself, this year I will develop my self-confidence.

I also want to improve my English, mainly my comprehension and conversation skills, though sometimes discouragement hangs over me when I am studying English and don't realize much progress, but studying is like that, keep on even if under difficulties.

I hope a great 2011 for you all!
ENG_rafael escreveu:Well, I want to get better grades, in spite of I am ever studying a lot, maybe it is essential to be more confident. That is a life point I have worry about, sometimes I guess don't be confident as much as it is necessary in order to be who I am and what I do. Due to that, I promise to myself, this year I will develop my self-confidence.

I also want to improve my English, mainly my comprehension and conversation skills, though sometimes discouragement hangs over me when I am studying English and don't realize much progress, but studying is like that, keep on even if under difficulties.

I hope a great 2011 for you all!

Rafael,

Please compare the following rewrite with your original and let me know what you think.

"Well, I want to get better grades, which seem elusive in spite of the time I spend studying, maybe I need more self confidence, which is a short falling I have that sometimes limits my accomplishments. Therefore I resolve to work on developing and improving my self confidence.

I also resolve to improve my English comprehension and conversation skills, by not becoming discouraged when it appears that I am not making much progress, and by redoubling my efforts despite the difficulties I experience when studying."

I hope this rewrite helps you, my friend.
Bill,

I am able to understand your rewriting very well, but I have had difficulties in order to write as a native speaker would do. Therefore, it is necessary compare my version with yours. I dream about writing like you.

I have one question for you. In the second paragraph, there is the term "by" twice, as we see: "... by not becoming discouraged..." and "... by redoubling my efforts...". Can it be omitted?

Thanks and sorry for the delay :D
Rafael,

"By" (adverb) is used to describe how you are going to "improve" in the future, and in this sentence is necessary in both instances.

To eliminate by I would need to change the sentence to read something like:

"I resolve to not become discouraged when progress is not evident, and in the alternative to redouble my efforts in order to improve my English comprehension and conversation skills."

I hope this explanion is not overly confusing.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido? Em 6 meses você pode elevar o seu inglês a um novo patamar.

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!
Bill,

I guess understood the using of "by". May I suggest an example in order to see if I am on the right way?
"Paul decided to spend more time with his family, by working just on weekdays." In this case, is "working just on
weekdays"
the way he is going to spend more with his family?

Ok, what you wrote without "by" is understandable. ;)