Como dizer "O plantio é opcional, mas a colheita é obrigatória" em inglês

Hi, there!
Could someone, please, tell me how to say this popular saying in English?
Or maybe, something close to that.
Thanks in advance!

COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
3 respostas
  Resposta mais votada
3 27 417
Hello, my friends.

Following your insights, I'd like to present two options:

Option 1: Hard work never did anyone any harm.
Meaning: Working hard won't hurt you.

Note: Half growing the crop; half harvesting it, in other words, hard work is needed to achieve a good result. We cannot expect a harvest without cultivating the crop.
_

Option 2: Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap [The Bible. Galatians 6:7] [religious concept]
Meaning: A man reaps what he sows.
TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
18 289
I don't know if there's an equivalent of that in English as far as it having its own version which could differ from the Portuguese version more than you'd think, in fact I've never even heard of that expression in the first place,but if you were to come up with a literal translation it could be: Planting it is optional, but reaping it isn't".
6 48 1.1k
In a way, there are some quotes about that. For instance "not choosing is a choice" or "When you have to make a choice and don't make it, that is in itself a choice." (William James).

In a way. And I´ll explain that. If you are into agriculture and you don´t sow the seeds (in the proper season - I mean), you won´t reap anything. If you sow them, you will reap the crops later.
In Portuguese we say "alguém só colhe o que planta", se você plantar você colhe, se você não plantar você colhe a consequência de não ter plantado". See? So, in Portuguese, I think this is said in a metaphorical way, "a colheita" is the end result of doing something, or the lack thereof.
That´s why I think "not choosing is (already) a choice" as being a good candidate to be equivalent to the sentence "o plantio é opcional, mas a colheita é obrigatória" (se você não quer fazer uma coisa, você pode; mas fazendo tem uma consequência e não fazendo também - e não é a mesma...)