FCE: Informal letter

Avatar do usuário Ancrispa 2555 8 57
Task: informal letter to a friend (from Flo-Joe- FCE task of the week)- você vai para a Inglaterra por seis meses para estudar inglês, por isso pede ajuda ao teu penpal sobre curso, trabalho e outras coisas que pretende fazer enquanto estiver por lá.
Nunca escrevi uma carta informal em inglês, é igual a tentar fazer um suco de laranja com laranja seca, sem suco. Não rende. Por favor, corrijam para mim.

Dear Tricia,

Thank you very much for your letter. I really appreciate your offer in helping me during my staying in England.

I’ve always wanted to go to England to improve my English, but just now I’ll be able to fulfill my dream. There are many things which I would like to do while being in the land of the queen. I think first, I am going to get a paying part-time job so that I can cover the costs of my staying there. I was wondering with you could give me some advice on how to write a CV in English.

After getting a job, what I want to do is studying English in a language school. If I could trouble you for one more favour indicating to me a good and trustable language school, I would be grateful to you for your help.

During the weekends, I was wondering if you could go along with me to do some sightseeing. I know it’s a lot to ask but could you help me with all that things?

Anyway, I’d like to meet you when I get in London. I am eagerly waiting for the day of my departure. Well, that’s all for now. Do write back as I’m waiting for the news from you.

Best wishes,

Ana

Mais Votada Mais Votada

Avatar do usuário Thomas 14280 7 58 282
Writing a letter is like painting a picture; everyone does it differently. This is my way.
Thank you very much for your letter. I really appreciate your offer to help me during my stay in England.

I’ve always wanted to go to England to improve my English, and now I’ll be able to fulfill my dream. There are many things which I would like to do while being in the Land of the Queen. I think first, I am going to get a paying a part-time job so that I can cover the costs of my staying (or my stay) there. I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to write a resumé in English.

After getting a job, what I want to do is study English in a language school. If I could trouble you for one more favour, if you would recommend or suggest to me a good and reliable language school, I would be grateful to you for your help. During On the weekends, I was wondering if you could go along with me to do some sightseeing. I know it’s a lot to ask but could you help me with all these things?

Anyway, I’d like to meet you when I get in London. I am eagerly waiting for the day of my departure. Well, that’s all for now. Do write back as I’m waiting for the news from you.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 39165 6 32 684
Well, I am going to post my views. Since I just had made a rough draft/redoing.

Thomas was spotless, state-of-the-art thing, and I know mine is far from perfect (and it wasn´t supposed to be, it was just to give you (Ana) some guidelines to go by).

Thus, you consider mine as if it was posted before, and Thomas had proofread it. This guy is a maestro! I am proud that I got close to his reasoning in some parts of the text (you can compare the two pieces and see how his is an improvement!).

Well, I leaving that here just for you seeing the reasoning (and my problable mistakes, ha ha ha :lol: ).
In fact, mine wasn´t even a piece of text, but a collage of sorts.
Glad tha you shared your piece with us, it was an exercise to me as well.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Dear Tricia,

Thank you very much for your letter. I am writing to let you know that I really appreciate your offer to help me during my stay in England.

I’ve always wanted to go to England to improve my English, but right now I’ll be able to fulfill my dream. There are many (exciting) things which I would like to do while being in the land of (her Majesty) the Queen. [I added “Her Majesty” not to be confused with the Band "Queen".]

I think first, I am going to get a *paid part-time job, so that I can cover the costs of my staying there. Please can I ask you one favour more? I am badly in need of some advice on how to write a CV in English.

I was wondering **if you could give me some advice on how to write a CV in English.

*paying if it´s you that is paying to work, the construction would do if you had something specifying the “paying”, examples: “Six of the best paying part-time jobs./25 high-paying part-time jobs.

“if”, instead of “with” [I was wondering is more formal than “Please can I ask...anyway, you could use it, should this be this your first letter to her.]

========================================
After getting a job, I want/I plan etc... to study English in a language school. May I ask you one more favour? [or could I bother you to indicate me a good and reliable language school...]

At this juncture, perhaps you could already go straight to the point. “I will need another big favour of yours. Do you know some good and reliable English school on the neighbourhood? Please, let me know.

Please, indicating to me a good and trustable language school, I would be grateful to you for your help.

I wonder if would mind like to ask you one more favour.
[I wonder if you would do a favour...is a more formal way to ask something, whereas mixing
''I wonder'' and ''mind'' in the same sentence seems like redundant to me. ]

During weekends, I will be greatly happy if I can do some sightseeing. I hope to make many friends there, so I am going to know the city and experience a different culture, it will be an exciting experience.

I know it’s a lot to ask but could you help me with all that things?
(Yeah, it´s a lot to ask, you are saying that you will be a clingy, totally dependent and intrusive friend, she might or might not work, have a life out there! Sometime you will have to fend for yourself. Or not, but you don´t say that first thing!)

[at this point, you “wonder too much”, chances are that your reader get bored, don´t let it happen. Your letter is supposed to be engaging.]

Anyway, I’d like to meet you when I get in London. I am eagerly waiting for the day of my departure. Well, that’s all for now. ***Do write back as I’m waiting for the news from you.

Best wishes,

++++++++++
*** Looks like a letter to a relative that is abroad, or to a relative and you are the one abroad.
Well, from my p.o.v. (point of view).

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Less formal: Cheers!/ Take care!/Til next time. (of course, if it´s not the first letter to your friend, or that she is already of your clique somehow.)

http://www.wikihow.com/End-a-Letter
Thomas
Thank you very much for having corrected my letter. Your help has been priceless to me.
I would also like to thank you for all the posts you have sent to English Experts. I’ve been learning a lot with you. Though I have never met you, you are like a teacher to me.

Paulo
Thank you very much for your help. Some months ago I was quite insecure about my English to come back writing in English. Now I’ve made up my mind that I want to take the FCE exam and it is something worth fighting for.
I know my English is full of mistakes, but I’m going to write more essays and post them here. I have to believe that if I work hard I can overcome my limitations and succeed in writing good essays.
Yep, Ana. I completely agree with you.
Thomas is an invaluable help here, and any Forum he takes part. His participation is not just helpful, but insightful as well, since he knows only Portuguese and Spanish and deeply, he "lived" the language.
He lived in the countries in which these languages are spoken, so his knowledge of languages and insights are enlightening, relevant, intelligent and practical. Really, a guy in-the-know (and on the go, sort of).
Not to mentioon his conciseness, a thing that I need yet to learn, ha ha. :lol:

Ana, I am rather glad that you are back on track, and that you are getting more confident by the day. You are a talented writer and express yourself well, so no need to be trepidant about writting at all.
I am really happy that you want sit the FCE exam, and certainly you will ace it! yes, it´s a worthwhile effort.
As for mistakes, everyones makes mistakes, and wouldn´t be I or you the exception to the rule, right? :D
That´s why I give my answers, replies and opinions here. Mistakes, blunders, slips are part of life

Don't try to run away from the mistake or it will continue to chase you.
and Life is very generous with mistakes, just as it's very generous with learning opportunities, love and chance of fulfillment if you choose to take them. Second, mistakes teach us what we're capable of through showing us what doesn't work.
http://www.wikihow.com/Admit-Mistakes

I am not being judgemental, I just thought the above excerpts would make you relate to that feeling, I myself had that feeling sometimes (now I am exercising my self-steem more, along with my determination of trying again and again.)

So, soon you will be writing the best essays ever, since writing good you already do. Just compare your first posts here, then and now. Or your skills, even before you came upon this site...see? I call this "improvement".

The very act of dropping some line is an act of bravery, there are so many people everywhere that would happy by the very overcaming their xenoglossophobia or logophobia. Just kidding now! ;)
Ah, and not forgetting others that have done a helluva job (okay, pretty good job, then!). Donay, Telma Regina, Henry Cunha, Juliana Rios, Artful Dodger...Well, I am going to stop here, or I am going to spend the night citing them.
There are some that aren´t "regulars" in the sense of coming almost everyday, but their contributions quite good and accurate, Tradutora, Timphillips, Mary Ziller, etc. With less quantity, but more quality. This site is really star-studded.
Paulo

Thank you very much for your words of encouragement.
Count me in.