Have you ever dreamed in English?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Question: Have you ever dreamed in English?

Answer:

Yes. Once I dreamed I was studying in Philadelphia (although I had never planned to go there). After the class I met my host mother in a snack bar, we had lunch together, talked about the class and then we walked towards her house.
After waking up I realized I’ve already been to that house and that it is quite far from Philadelphia (and quite close to my house, by the way).

Now it’s your turn!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Para aprender mais sobre os Tempos Verbais baixe agora o: Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um resumo bem estruturado para revisar os conceitos que você aprendeu na escola.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Flavia,

I learned something new from your post! I was going to suggest that the word "host" be used in it possesive sense (host's) but decided to exercise due diligence before I risked catching the famously dreaded "foot in mouth disease". My research imparted the knowledge that "host mother" is correct and is a type of surrogate mother, in this case for an exchange student.

Thank you for helping me to expand my vocabulary, and proving that even native English speakers can learn from "EE".
By the way, as a nitpick, the idiom "by the way" is usually used as an introduction at the begining of a thought.

Suggested words for the curious to look up to improve their vocabulary.
due diligence
imparted
surrogate
"foot in mouth disease" (an idiom)
You learned one, I learned four (words+idiom). That's been a good exchange, indeed ;)
Hi Flá, this is a good topic, you know.

Yes. Once I dreamed in english. To explain exactly the situation, firstly I guess this happened because I had a hard day in my job. At that day there were some foreigners here at a conference Brazil x Canadá and when I got home I just fell asleep and the dream has started.

I didn't know almost nothing about the English Language, I had just started to take my english classes and get a job where I could improve my English skills. So, throughout the day I was listening a lot of employees talking in english and in spite of I wasn't be able to get everything they were talking to each other. I started to listen and understand everything as a miracle, thereafter I got to the conference I started to discuss about the project we've done for the growing to the company following the budget and the tremendous forecast. (I guess Flávia's used to do that at hers conferences.)

Well, after my presentation/performance as the Financial Director was everything's going fine the company's president enjoyed the idea about the anual budget and that's it!

And highlighting my presentation has been done in English.

Bye.
Finance Director? May I send you my CV? :D

Your dream was just a forecast of what you've been striving to reach. At least this is what I see here in the forum.
Keep up the good work!
Yeah, Financial Director, Did you like?
You don't need to send me a CV, I'm sure you'll be the right and able applicant for this vacancy. Don't you think I'll remember to phone you for any opened vacancy for other Director's position?

Who knows I can call you and tell you news about my carreer when I get to be Financial Director.

I really hope you get first!
Logan18 escreveu:Hi Flá, this is a good topic, you know.

Yes. Once I dreamed in english. To explain exactly the situation, firstly I guess this happened because I had a hard day in my job. At that day there were some foreigners here at a conference Brazil x Canadá and when I got home I just fell asleep and the dream has started.

I didn't know almost nothing about the English Language, I had just started to take my english classes and get a job where I could improve my English skills. So, throughout the day I was listening a lot of employees talking in english and in spite of I wasn't be able to get everything they were talking to each other. I started to listen and understand everything as a miracle, thereafter I got to the conference I started to discuss about the project we've done for the growing to the company following the budget and the tremendous forecast. (I guess Flávia's used to do that at hers conferences.)

Well, after my presentation/performance as the Financial Director was everything's going fine the company's president enjoyed the idea about the anual budget and that's it!

And highlighting my presentation has been done in English.

Bye.

Logan,

I think I understand what you are saying and would like to make it a little clearer through a rewrite.

"Yes. Once I dreamed in english. To exactly explain the situation I need to state that I had a very hard day at my job, because that day some Canadians were here for a conference with the Brazilians and I was so tired when I got home that I almost immediately fell asleep and started to dream.

In my dream, I knew almost nothing about the English language as I had just started English classes and gotten a job where I could improve my English skills. Then throughout the day as I listened to the employees talking in English I started to understand some of what they were saying, and as the day went on I, almost miraculously, began to understand everything being said. Soon thereafter I discussed the budget and a realistic but optimistic forecast for a project that we had designed to allow the company to grow at an accelerated rate.

As the company's Chief Financial Officer, I presented the the budeget and expansion plan in English, which delighted and impressed the company's President who then approved the budget and expansion plans as I had presented them.

Bye"

If you do not understand the "whys and wherefores" of the above please let me know.

For the curious look up the following to augment your vocabulary.
Get, Got, and Gotten for both American English and British English
accelerated
augment
"Whys and Wherefores" an idiom

And for the very curious :ugeek: , "Please indulge my laquacious dissertation." ;) :D
The forum is FULL of very very very curious people.
Flavia,

Are you implying that I am analytcal and inquisitive or insinuating that I am bizarre and weird? Or am I infering something that is as nonexistent, as my dreams in Portuguese?

I took the liberty to change the question to "Have you ever dreamed in Portuguese?" since all my dreams are in English. :)

Lots of words for the inquisitive. :D
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Leia o e-book Aprendendo Idiomas por Conta Própria e conheça as técnicas utilizadas pelos Experts para aprender idiomas. Com ele você vai aprender a aprender inglês!

Baixar uma Amostra Grátis!
No! And I never thought it would be good, but now I think it would. I want (: