POKÉMON - English Opening Theme

Ricardo F. Bernardi 13425 23 289
Gotta Catch 'Em All
(Gotta Catch 'Em All
Pokémon!

Do you remeber that chorus?

Imagem

Who could ever imagine that the Pokémon series would be one of the most successful anime of all time?
And everything started on February 27, 1996 when a trio of quirky creatures, Bulbasaur (Bulbassauro), Squirrel (Squirtle now) and Chamander were presented as a game development by Game Freak studio.

If someone says "Pikachu" nowadays, someone will certainly answer with "Gotta Catch 'Em All"!
That's the English slogan for the franchise.

A franchise?

Yes! Pokémon is a franchise developed by Satoshi Tajiri (田尻 智 Tajiri Satoshi), a Japanese video game designer, director and also one of the founders of Nintendo game company. He is actually the President of Game Freak. As a fan of arcade games, Tajiri claims that his childhood hobby, insect collecting, served the inspiration to create Pokémon Red and Green - released as Pokémon Red and Blue in the Western - a pair of video games for the original Game Boy handheld system that were developed by Game Freak and published by Nintendo on February 27, 1996.

Tajiri was born on August 28, 1965 in Setagaya, Tokyo, Japan and his alma mater is Tokyo National College of Technology. According to Tajiri, Pokémon Red and Green versions took six years to be completed, which allowed people of all ages to catch, train and trade special and cute creatures and so become a Pokémon Master. Tajiri and his teamworkers renovated Nintendo's handheld gaming and then he changed his role to an executive producer.

In the two decades since, the Pokémon series has soared to become second in record-holding franchise sales only to games starring Nintendo’s indefatigable mustachioed plumber, Mario. Pokémon became a case to be analyzed by academic experts. In 1999, one of the most prestigious magazines of the world, Time published some news regarding on Tajiri's masterpiece. Pokémon soon became a media mix franchise adapted into various different media with more than 346 million copies sold, one billion mobile downloads, one of greatest anime hits of all time with over 20 season and more than 1,000 episodes in about 169 countries, a top-selling trading card game with over 28.8 billion cards sold, etc.

What is the secret to Pokémon's success?
Why the Pokémon TV show is the most successful adaptation of a videogame ever?

As you may have noticed, I am really into Pokémon franchise! And you?

Just for curiosity, Pokémon is an abbreviation of Pocket Monsters. I have no idea who Satoshi Tajiri when I was little and how he came up with that idea of keeping monsters into a pokéball. My first brush with Pokémon came when I watched the 16th episode Pokémon Shipwreck on Eliana & Alegria, a defunct children's program from Record TV in Brazil. The teamwork of the characters was so incredible that I was moved, and then I realized one of his secrets to transform Pokémon into a great hit. The message was clear: cooperation - which reminded me about those important messages left at the end of She-ra and He-man cartoons, but in a different way. The way those messages were broadcasted by the anime is priceless even nowadays.

First of all, Tajiri and his colleagues managed to change our fear of insects or other animals into a fun and entertainment by creating cute and powerful creatures. Some known them better by the trading card game; others, the anime. Another secret is related to the respect to the television content rating system. As far as I know, Japan doesn't have an official censorship standard which TV networks must strictly follow. I am positive the closest thing Japan has to a rating system is Eirin, which is for movies. However, Pokémon's co-producers prefered to follow it strictly in order to avoid troubles in the other countries, especially those which has a complex government system.

The main purpose of Pokémon is to help people to have fun through Pokémon battles. If you lose, you should blame yourself for ignoring the basics of a Pokémon training. When I researched about Tajiri's career, I realized he decided to take care of the basis of Pokémon foundation and then improve it dividing the management of Pokémon franchise into a company where the shares is divided by three other major companies, Nintendo, Game Freak and Creatures - the latter is also a Japanese video game development company.

The result was a Japanese company responsible for brand management and marketing of the Pokémon franchise. Its name was very creative. Simple and clear. The Pokémon Company (株式会社ポケモン, Kabushiki gaisha Pokemon), which was founded in Tokyo through a joint investment by the other three previous businesses in 1998. In October 2000, they adopted the moniker Pokémon Ltd, but even nowadays, Nintendo is the sole owner of the trademark in other countries.

Another reason regarding on Pokémon's hit is related to the plot itself, which is centered on the fictional creatures called Pokémon. In every story of Pokémon media, humans, who are known as Pokémon Trainers, must catch and train the cute monsters to battle each other for sport; however some Pokémon are extremely rare and that makes the series more realistic because it is similar when we need to find an animal which is about to be found or just to protect an endangered one.

Although some critics consider the art of Pokémon a facelift, for better or worse, it is impossible to deny how much the English themes are moving and also easy to known by heart. The vocabulary is intended for children and young people, especially because of the soft message mixed to rock and pop.

From a simple hobby to a cultural phenomenon.
From a game to television.

So whether you played Pokémon as a kid or have never seen Pikachu in TV or at movies, there has never been a better time to say: ♬ Gotta Catch ‘Em All, Pokémon! ♬.

There is a lot to do and we won't miss the opportunity to study each one of the Pokémon songs next time!
No doubt! :)

If you want to discover the mysteries of Pokémon franchise, you might want to visit the websites:

(1) The Official Pokémon Website (in English).
(2) The Pokémon Company (in English and Japanese).

_
Related topics:
(1) Pokémon Theme Song.
(2) Como dizer "caçar ou capturar Pokémon" em inglês?
(3) Pokémon Go: Dicas de Aprendizado do Inglês
_

Learn Alphabet with Pokémon Characters for Toddlers and Kids:
_
REFERENCES:
(1) PECKHAM, Matt. This Is How the Pokémon Craze Started 20 Years Ago. Time Magazine. November 22, 1999.
(2) BURWICK, Kevin. Pokemon Rules Them All as Highest-Grossing Franchise Ever in movie.web. June 24, 2018.
(3) SAUNDERS, Luke. The history of Pokémon: from Game Boy classic to global phenomenon. Date of access: 07-18-2020.
Cambly Brasil - Mensagem Patrocinada Saiba já o seu nível de inglês - Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor e verifique como está o seu nível de inglês. Perder o medo de se comunicar é o primeiro passo para a fluência. Cadastre-se na Cambly e experimente o método sem compromisso.

Iniciar Conversação
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Ricardo F. Bernardi escreveu: 18 Jul 2020, 05:17
ERRATA:

Just for curiosity, Pokémon is an abbreviation of Pocket Monsters. I have no idea who Satoshi Tajiri was when I was little and how he came up with that idea of keeping monsters into a pokéball.
Pokémon - Opening Theme 01
[In Western countries]

English TV version:
Brazilian Portuguese TV version:
Official English version Translated Official Brazilian Portuguese version
I wanna be the very best Eu quero ser o melhor de todos Esse meu jeito de viver
Like no one ever was Como ninguém nunca foi Quem nunca foi igual?
To catch them is my real test Pegá-los é o meu verdadeiro teste A minha vida é fazer
To train them is my cause Treiná-los é o meu ideal O bem vencer o mal
I will travel across the land Eu vou viajar pelo país Pelo mundo viajarei
Searching far and wide Procurando em toda a parte Tentando encontrar
Each pokémon to understand Cada pokémon para compreender Um pokémon e com o seu poder
The power that's inside O poder que está no interior Tudo transformar
(Pokémon!) Gotta catch 'em all! (Pokémon!) Tenho que pegá-los! (Pokémon!) Tem que pegar!
It's you and me! É você e eu! Isso eu sei!
I know it's my destiny (Pokémon!) Sei que é meu destino (Pokémon!) Pegá-los eu tentarei (Pokémon!)
Ooh, you're my best friend! Aah, você é o meu melhor amigo! Juntos teremos que
In a world we must defend Em um mundo que temos que proteger O mundo defender
(Pokémon!) Gotta catch 'em all! (Pokémon!) Tenho que pegá-los! (Pokémon!) Tem que pegar!
A heart so true! Um coração tão verdadeiro! Isso eu sei!
Our courage will pull us through Nossa coragem vai nos levar adiante Pegá-los eu tentarei!
You teach me and I'll teach you (Pokémon!) Você me ensina e eu ensino você (Pokémon!) Vai ser grande a emoção (Pokémon!)
Gotta catch 'em all! [Repeat twice] Tenho que pegá-los! [Repita duas vezes] Temos que pegar! [Repita duas vezes]
Pokémon! Pokémon! Pokémon!
Pokémon - Opening Theme 02
[In Western countries]

English TV version:
Brazilian Portuguese TV version:
Official English version Translated Official Brazilian Portuguese version
So you wanna be a master (of) Pokémon? Então você quer ser um mestre (de) Pokémon? Se você quer ser um mestre Pokémon...
Do you have the skills to be number 1? Você tem as habilidades para ser o número 1? Ser de todos o melhor... Vamos lá!
I wanna take the ultimate step Eu quero tomar o passo definitivo Para chegar ao topo do mundo
Find the courage to be bold Encontrar a coragem para ser ousado Para um grande mestre ser
[Pokémon] [Pokémon] [Pokémon]
To risk it all, and not forget Para arriscar tudo, e não esquecer Tem que arriscar e aproveitar
The lessons that I hold As lições que eu mantenho As lições que aprendeu
I wanna go where no one's been Eu quero ir aonde ninguém esteve Eu quero ir aonde ninguém foi
Far beyond the crowd Muito além da multidão E muito mais além
[Pokémon, hey!] [Pokémon, é!] [Pokémon]
Learn the way to take command Aprender como assumir o comando Ter o poder em minhas mãos
Use the power that's in my hand Usar o poder que está na minha mão E lutar só pelo bem
Oh hey! Oh yeah! -
We all live in a Pokémon world Nós todos vivemos em um mundo Pokémon Nós vivemos no mundo Pokémon
I wanna be the greatest master of them all Eu quero ser o maior mestre de todos Eu quero ser o melhor dos treinadores
We all live in a Pokémon world Nós todos vivemos em um mundo Pokémon Nós vivemos no mundo Pokémon
(I) put myself to the test to be better than all the rest (Eu) me coloquei à prova para ser melhor do que todos os demais Vou passar no teste e serei o melhor dos mestres
So you wanna be a master (of) Pokémon? Então você quer ser um mestre (de) Pokémon? Se você quer ser um mestre Pokémon...
Do you have the skills to be number 1? Você tem as habilidades para ser o número 1? Ser de todos o melhor... Vamos lá!
I wanna be the greatest master of them all Eu quero ser o maior mestre de todos Eu quero ser o melhor dos treinadores
[Got the power in your hands] [Consiga o poder em suas mãos] [Pikachu!]
Pokémon! Pokémon! Pokémon!
Donay Mendonça 62650 22 99 1518
Good job, Ricardo!

Por falar em Pokémon, olha uma expressão comum sobre o jogo/desenho:

Cf. Como dizer "Caçar Pokémon" em inglês

Por falar nisso, Ricardo, você está assistindo a alguma série na Netflix, por exemplo? Algumas têm expressões legais em inglês que eu ensino aos meus alunos.
Ricardo F. Bernardi escreveu: 18 Jul 2020, 05:17
ERRATA nº 2:

Gotta Catch 'Em All
(Gotta Catch 'Em All
Pokémon!

Do you remember that chorus?
Olá Donay,

Recentemente eu terminei de assistir a algumas séries com um teor mais adulto na Netflix, cujas expressões eu preferiria evidenciar em posts correspondentes.

Em se tratando de Pokémon, eu sou um grande fã das duas primeiras séries do anime que trata das aventuras de Ash (nome ocidental para o protagonista da série que se chama Satoshi) e seus amigos no Planalto Índigo e nas Ilhas Laranja.

Recentemente eu terminei de assistir a terceira temporada da série mais recente da franquia chamada Sol e Lua (Sun and Moon). É a 20ª série animada da franquia Pokémon. Uma expressão que me chamou muito a atenção foi to rise to the challenge, que agora, nesses tempos de pandemia vem bem a calhar (which turned out to be really useful), na minha opinião. O significado dela está relacionado ao fato de podermos lidar com situações difíceis.

E ela não me sai da cabeça! :)
Donay Mendonça 62650 22 99 1518
Recentemente eu terminei de assistir a terceira temporada da série mais recente da franquia chamada Sol e Lua (Sun and Moon). É a 20ª série animada da franquia Pokémon. Uma expressão que me chamou muito a atenção foi to rise to the challenge, que agora, nesses tempos de pandemia vem bem a calhar (which turned out to be really useful), na minha opinião. O significado dela está relacionado ao fato de podermos lidar com situações difíceis.
That's true. We all have to rise to the challenge, especially now.

Keep up the good work!
You bet!
Thank you so much!
Curso English Experts Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido?

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!