Soft Drinks Linked to Behavioral Problems in Young Children

Avatar do usuário Rakell Grubert Pere 3385 3 6 65
I received this article this morning.

Soft Drinks Linked to Behavioral Problems in Young Children

Aug. 16, 2013 — Americans buy more soft drinks per capita than people in any other country. These drinks are consumed by individuals of all ages, including very young children. Although soft drink consumption is associated with aggression, depression, and suicidal thoughts in adolescents, the relationship had not been evaluated in younger children. A new study scheduled for publication in The Journal of Pediatrics finds that aggression, attention problems, and withdrawal behavior are all associated with soft drink consumption in young children.
Shakira Suglia, ScD, and colleagues from Columbia University's Mailman School of Public Health, University of Vermont, and Harvard School of Public Health assessed approximately 3,000 5-year-old children enrolled in the Fragile Families and Child Wellbeing Study, a prospective birth cohort that follows mother-child pairs from 20 large U.S. cities. Mothers reported their child's soft drink consumption and completed the Child Behavior Checklist based on their child's behavior during the previous two months. The researchers found that 43% of the children consumed at least 1 serving of soft drinks per day, and 4% consumed 4 or more.
Aggression, withdrawal, and attention problems were associated with soda consumption. Even after adjusting for sociodemographic factors, maternal depression, intimate partner violence, and paternal incarceration, any soft drink consumption was associated with increased aggressive behavior. Children who drank 4 or more soft drinks per day were more than twice as likely to destroy things belonging to others, get into fights, and physically attack people. They also had increased attention problems and withdrawal behavior compared with those who did not consume soft drinks,
According to Dr. Suglia, "We found that the child's aggressive behavior score increased with every increase in soft drinks servings per day." Although this study cannot identify the exact nature of the association between soft drink consumption and problem behaviors, limiting or eliminating a child's soft drink consumption may reduce behavioral problems.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... Science%29

Do you think that limiting or eliminating the consumption of soft drinks will reduce behavioral problems? In your opinion, what is the main cause of behavioral problems in children?
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 38545 6 32 674
Do you think that limiting or eliminating the consumption of soft drinks will reduce behavioral problems? In your opinion, what is the main cause of behavioral problems in children?

Oh my! Rakell. You sounds like having falling in the trap of generalization!
Nowhere in the text it suggests it is is the main link, but only a link there.
By the way, it could have a bias (viés/ser tendencioso...) in the search, since the soda case-study was taken in the
"Fragile Families and Child Wellbeing Study" in the first place.
Okay, granted that they "adjusted" the data for "sociodemographic factors, maternal depression, intimate partner violence, and paternal incarceration...", but then, these factors couldn´t be enough to the output? how much? and how much they adjusted? no one knows.

And then comes the "liking bias" (viés de afeição), a scientist takes a liking for the research they make, and one of them that is articulated enough to be its spokerperson might convince everybody of their finding. Clean and easy as that.

I am not saying they are wrong, I am against soft drinks consumption, because of our ignorance of the chemicals put it it, who knows if they don´t affect cells making us prone to diseases like cancer? and other maladies? even interacting with the chemicals of our brains, perhaps making us prone to depression etc.

But, these are conjectures of mine, guesses...
So, answering your question; I don´t know which could be the main cause of behavioral problems in children. Anyway, I think parents might do their best to provide education and parental involvement and participation (even tough, the younger not always want it! he he).

Certainly reducing/limiting soft drinks will make your and your family diet healthier, anyway you´re not a helpless sinner if you let your family drink some, every once in awhile. With moderation, of course.
Now, personally, it´s not my fave liquid. Coffee is... I know, I know, just as harmful, perhaps! :?
PPAULO escreveu:Do you think that limiting or eliminating the consumption of soft drinks will reduce behavioral problems? In your opinion, what is the main cause of behavioral problems in children?
Oh my! Rakell. You sounds like having falling in the trap of generalization!

I didn't say it was either. I know they have only found a link( not a cause) between soft drinks and children's bad behavior.
But, what I'm asking is "what do YOU think would be the main cause?"
If there is just one. If not, what are the possible causes?
Sorry If I wasn't clear.
But you already answered my questions.
PPAULO escreveu:So, answering your question; I don´t know which could be the main cause of behavioral problems in children. Anyway, I think parents might do their best to provide education and parental involvement and participation (even tough, the younger not always want it! he he).

Certainly reducing/limiting soft drinks will make your and your family diet healthier, anyway you´re not a helpless sinner if you let your family drink some, every once in awhile. With moderation, of course.
Now, personally, it´s not my fave liquid. Coffee is... I know, I know, just as harmful, perhaps! :?

Thank you!
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 38545 6 32 674
As an example, let´s take the French parents approach:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/suf ... -have-adhd

The French holistic, psychosocial approach also allows for considering nutritional causes for ADHD-type symptoms—specifically the fact that the behavior of some children is worsened after eating foods with artificial colors, certain preservatives, and/or allergens. Clinicians who work with troubled children in this country—not to mention parents of many ADHD kids—are well aware that dietary interventions can sometimes help a child's problem.

And then, of course, there are the vastly different philosophies of child-rearing in the United States and France. These divergent philosophies could account for why French children are generally better-behaved than their American counterparts.

Children are not allowed, for example, to snack whenever they want. Mealtimes are at four specific times of the day. French children learn to wait patiently for meals, rather than eating snack foods whenever they feel like it. French babies, too, are expected to conform to limits set by parents and not by their crying selves. French parents let their babies "cry it out" if they are not sleeping through the night at the age of four months.

Finally, French parents believe that hearing the word "no" rescues children from the "tyranny of their own desires." And spanking, when used judiciously, is not considered child abuse in France.

See? altough the French acknowledges the chemicals role in the youth diet, they don´t overlook other factors, there´s where enter parental, family, and even societal roles (and values, for that matter).