Do you prefer to learn American or British English? Why?

Regras do fórum

Practice English here, messages in Portuguese are not allowed.
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Do you prefer to learn American or British English? Why?

Examples of answer:

- I prefer to learn American English, because someday I hope to visit America, especially Disney World in Orlando, Florida.
- I like American English better, because I work in the tourist industry and most of our clients are from America.
- I prefer to learn British English, because once a year I visit my cousin who lives in London, England.

Now it is your turn!

Mais Votada Mais Votada

Avatar do usuário Sra_Tradutora 3290 6 73
As an English speaker, I'm answering the question "Do you prefer to learn Portuguese from Brazil or Portugal? Why?"

Being North American, I tend to favor the languages of the Americas rather than the languages of Europe. While I do appreciate some of the things the Old World has to offer (culture, architecture, foods, etc.), I find the American languages (English, French, Spanish and Portuguese) more straightforward and effective, which I think is important when it comes to communication.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe como está o seu nível de inglês? Teste agora GRÁTIS em apenas alguns minutos.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12360 1 22 206
I learned AmE because a friend of my father's[1] tipped him off on the local Binational Center (Soc. Cultural Brasil-Estados Unidos) back in the 70's. Also, most of the people I happened to talk in English to came from the US, my niece's ex-husband appearing as the last American person I had a chance of talking in English to. (He and my niece broke up a couple of years ago.)

----------------------
[1] My 94-year-old father died at 8 p.m., 17 Aug 2010.
Marcio_Farias escreveu:I learned AmE because a friend of my father's[1] tipped him off on the local Binational Center (Soc. Cultural Brasil-Estados Unidos) back in the 70's. Also, most of the people I happened to talk in English to came from the US, my niece's ex-husband appearing as the last American person I had a chance of talking in English to. (He and my niece broke up a couple of years ago.)

----------------------
[1] My 94-year-old father died at 8 p.m., 17 Aug 2010.

Marcio,

A couple of minor changes might be in order. I learned ... tipped him off to the local ... I happened to talk to in English ... my niece's ex-husband was the last American I had ... . (Delete person as slightly redundant)

I know, I am nitpicking again.

As a final thought I would like to offer my most heartfelt condolences on the loss of your father.
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12360 1 22 206
Bill, thank you. My word order mistakes and misplaced clauses surely do give me away as an ESL speaker. I will try to carefully watch my grammar next time. :)

And thank you for condolences. The old man eluded the hospital bed into the comfort of a well-deserved grave. If he survived, he'd live the rest of his days intravenously fed in a hospital.
U.S or U.K, fancy that! - actually I love both. But.....

make sure which coutry you are going to visit, because oh yeah they speak a different English in GENERAL. I majored in Letras in Brazil, then I spent 6 months in Oxford/UK, after that I married to an American man. Uh, you gotta know U.S. English. :shock:

I am currently a sophomore liberal arts student majoring in English Degree(B.A English) here in Minnesota and yes, since I came to this country in 2006, I am still learning the real American English.

brasilian there - brazilian here (and don't try to write "brasilian" if you are writing an important essay :?
I prefer Americian English, because the spelling, pronunciation, enunciation, punctuation, and phrases are correct, where in British English all the former are incorrect. ;)

I wonder if my predilection is influenced by my allegiance to my nationality? :lol:

As George Bernard Shaw said, "Two peoples separated by a common language."

Words to look up in order improve your vocabulary:
Pronunciation versus Enunciation
Predilection
Sorry London, sorry Oxford, but I love american English. I'm just fascinated! :)
But I gotta say, after I started watching Family Guy and saw the pronunciation of Stewie Griffinn, I started liking British English too.

However... America rules! Hahaha!

See you guys! \Õ
I have no preference, I do like both. After all they are "English", aren't they?? ;) That is what matters to me. :lol:

ailime
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido? Em 6 meses você pode elevar o seu inglês a um novo patamar.

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!
I prefer American, I've studied American English since I was 6 yo, but, now, I'm in trouble, cos, in Kuwait, people speak British English... :(
I prefer American English, because my dream is going to Harvard University, so I need to learn American English, all the best universities in the world are in the USA.