TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART - Bonnie Tyler

Ricardo F. Bernardi 13415 23 288
A distinctive husky voice. A bouffant and proeminent blond hair.
Brighty eyes. A beautiful singer.
Can you guess who she is?

TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART - Original Version
Bingo! :)

Bonnie Tyler, the performer of the iconic song Total Eclipse of the Heart, which is also one of her worldwide hits.

Her true name is Gaynor Hopkins. She was born on June 8, 1951. She started to work as a club singer at 17.

The 1983 song Total Eclipse of the Heart is considered a classic by many and a favorite for eclipse viewing. But did you know that the release of the song almost never happened?

Actually it was originally conceived as a gotic song called Vampires in Love by Jim Steinman. He included Total Eclipse in his compostion for the 1997 musical Dance of the Vampires. According to Michael Lee Aday, an American singer and actor known professionaly as Meat Loaf, Steinman had written the song, along with another one, Making Love Out of Nothing at All for his album Midnight at the Lost and Found.

Unfortunately, Meat Loaf's record company refused to pay Steinman and he decided to wrote separate song himself. Total Eclipse was given to Tyler and became her biggest career hit, topping the UK Singles Chart and also the 5th best-selling single in 1983 in the United Kingdom. Tyler became the first woman to accomplish it there and the song, which released as a power ballad, became her highest charting song in several countries, peaking from #1 to #5 positions in the United States, South Africa, New Zealand and Canada.

In the United States, for example, the single spent four weeks at the top of the charts, and was Billboard's number-six song of the year for 1983. The song was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance. The single has sales in excess of 6 million copies worldwide.

Steinman initially turned down an offer to produce Tyler’s Faster Than the Speed of Night album, but after listening to her demo tapes the pair met in April 1982 and after some discussions, he made his mind up to release the song as a single by Columbia Record on February 11, 1983 in the United Kingdom and on May 31, 1983 in the United States.

That was the chance Bonnie Tyler needed to shine from a club singer to a star. After the realease of the album she has been recording the song many times throughout her career. Total Eclipse has also received other versions by singers from different countries who admire Tyler's works. One of these versions is very special and reached the US and UK Top 5 in 1995. It was performed as a remix by Nicki French, an English singer and actress, who is also best known for representing the United Kingdom in the 2000 Eurovision Song Contest in Stockholm, Sweden.

In Brazil, Total Eclipse was realeased on the International CD track of Pão Pão, Beijo Beijo, a TV soap-opera produced by Rede Globo in 1983.

Now, shall we sing this beautiful masterpiece together?

TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART - [Dance Version]:
TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART - [Techno Remix Version]:
TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART ECLIPSE TOTAL DO CORAÇÃO
Turn around Vire-se
Every now and then I get a little bit lonely De tempos em tempos eu fico um tantinho solitária
And you're never coming 'round E você nunca vem aqui me visitar
Turn around Dê meia volta
Every now and then I get a little bit tired of De vez em quando eu fico um pouquinho cansada de
Listening to the sound of my tears Escutar o som das minhas lágrimas
Turn around Vire-se
Every now and then I get a little bit nervous De tempos em tempos eu fico um tantinho amedrontada
That the best of all the years have gone by Que o melhor de todos os anos se passou
Every now and then I get a little bit terrified De vez em quando eu fico um pouquinho apavorada
And then I see the look in your eyes E logo vejo a expressão em seus olhos
Turn around, bright eyes Vire-se, olhos brilhantes
Every now and then I fall apart De tempos em tempos eu caio em prantos
Repeat the two previous verses Repita os dois versos anteriores
Every now and then I get a little bit restless De vez em quando eu fico um tantinho agitada
And I dream of something wild E eu sonho com algo intenso
Turn around Vire-se
Every now and then I get a little bit helpless De tempos em tempos eu fico um pouquinho indefesa
And I'm lying like a child in your arms E eu descanso feito uma criança em seus braços
Every now and then I get a little bit angry De vez em quando eu fico um tantinho revoltada
And I know I've got to get out and cry E eu sei que tenho que sair e gritar
Turn around Vire-se
Every now and then I get a little bit terrified De tempos em tempos eu fico um pouquinho apavorada
But then I see the look in your eyes Porém, logo vejo a expressão em seus olhos
Turn around, bright eyes Dê meia volta, olhos brilhantes
Every now and then I fall apart De vez em quando eu caio aos pedaços
And I need you now tonight E eu preciso de você agora, hoje à noite
And I need you more than ever E eu preciso de você mais do que nunca
And if you only hold me tight E se você somente me abraçar com força
We'll be holding on forever Nós vamos aguentar firme para sempre
And we'll only be making it right E vamos apenas fazer isso dar certo
'Cause we'll never be wrong Porque jamais vamos errar
Together we can take it to the end of the line Juntos podemos levar isso até o fim da linha
Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time Seu amor é como uma sombra sobre mim o tempo inteiro
All of the time Todo o tempo
I don't know what to do and I'm always in the dark Eu não sei o que fazer e estou sempre às cegas
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks Estamos vivendo num barril de pólvora e soltando faíscas
I really need you tonight Eu preciso mesmo de você hoje à noite
Forever's gonna start tonight [Repeat] A eternidade vai começar hoje à noite [Repita]
Once upon a time, I was falling in love Era uma vez, eu estava me apaixonando
Now I'm only falling apart Agora estou apenas caindo aos pedaços
There's nothing I can do Não há nada que eu possa fazer
A total eclipse of the heart Um eclipse total do coração
Once upon a time, there was light in my life Era uma vez, havia luz na minha vida
But now there's only love in the dark Porém, agora há apenas amor às escondidas
Nothing I can say Nada que eu possa dizer
Turn around, bright eyes Vire-se, olhos brilhantes
Every now and then I fall apart De tempos em tempos eu caio em prantos
And I need you now tonight E eu preciso de você agora, hoje à noite
And I need you E eu preciso de você
And I need you more than ever E eu preciso de você mais do que nunca
And if you only hold me tight E se você apenas me abraçar com força
If you only Se você apenas
We'll be holding on forever Vamos aguentar firme para sempre
And we'll only be making it right E vamos apenas fazer isso dar certo
'Cause we'll never be wrong Porque jamais vamos errar
We'll never... Nunca vamos...
Together we can take it to the end of the line Juntos podemos levar isso até o fim da linha
Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time Seu amor é como uma sombra sobre mim o tempo inteiro
All the time O tempo todo
I don't know what to do, and I'm always in the dark Não sei o que fazer, e estou sempre às cegas
We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks Vivemos num barril de pólvora e soltamos faíscas
I really need you tonight Eu preciso mesmo de você hoje à noite
Forever's gonna start tonight [Repeat] A eternidade vai começar hoje à noite [Repita]
Once upon a time, I was falling in love Era uma vez, eu estava me apaixonando
Now I'm only falling apart Agora estou apenas caindo aos prantos
(There's) nothing I can do (Não há) nada que eu possa fazer
Once upon a time, there was light in my life Era uma vez, havia luz na minha vida
But now there's only love in the dark Porém, agora há apenas amor às escondidas
(There's) nothing I can say (Não há) nada que eu possa dizer
A total eclipse of the heart [Repeat] Um eclipse total do coração [Repita]
Turn around, bright eyes [Repeat] Dê meia volta, olhos brilhantes [Repita]
Turn around Vire-se
_