Tradução de "prompt "

Opa, achei muito complicado encontrar um sentido para a palavra pois os usos dela são diversos:

-The tight time-frame therefore means that prompt transposition is of the essence;
-For most people, contemporary buildings do not prompt similar claustrophobic concerns
-I am sure he does not need any prompting from any Commissioner to ask in Parliament what he wishes to know.
-After the Chernobyl experience we have to prompt Ukraine to do something.
-I call upon you to be prompt in submitting decisions based on it and to delay no longer.

Mais Votada Mais Votada

Avatar do usuário Thomas 14110 7 58 278
You had trouble because the word has multiple meanings.

(1) As a verb, "to prompt" means to cause something to happen. Sometimes this requires provoking and sometimes you are acting as a trigger.
---If you have not eaten for a week, have no friends who can help you, and have no money, your hunger may prompt/cause you to steal food.
---If your son does not clean his messy room, threatening to take away a privilege may be enough to provoke him to clean the room. When actors or newscasters cannot remember what to say, they are "prompted" by a colleague.

(2) As an adjective, "prompt" usually means to be willing/capable/ready to act or fulfill and obligation.
---If you arrive on time at a meeting, you are prompt.
---f you carry out a duty quickly, you are prompt.

Read the example below that you posted. At the end of each, I have put (1) to mean "verb" and (2) to mean adjective. See if the meanings are clearer now.

-The tight time-frame therefore means that prompt transposition is of the essence; (2)
-For most people, contemporary buildings do not prompt similar claustrophobic concerns (1)
-I am sure he does not need any prompting from any Commissioner to ask in Parliament what he wishes to know. (1)
-After the Chernobyl experience we have to prompt Ukraine to do something. (1)
-I call upon you to be prompt in submitting decisions based on it and to delay no longer. (2)
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe como está o seu nível de inglês? Teste agora GRÁTIS em apenas alguns minutos.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 35970 4 32 631
Most of the time it means "provocar, motivar, incitar, impelir."

Sometimes it might come in these senses, but not precisely with that words.

As in:
To help prompt this discussion, review the six areas of self-reliance: employment; education and literacy; home storage;...
Para ajudar a discutir o assunto, examine as seis áreas de auto-suficiência: emprego; educação e alfabetização; armazenamento...

Source: linguee
http://www.linguee.com.br/ingles-portug ... rompt.html

============================

That is, the above would have the sense of "motivar/impelir" etc.
With English, you have to widen your repertoire, sometimes in unexpected ways. You can´t rely only on rigid structures.
There´s more than one way to skin a cat.