"Try and" Vs. "Try to"

Hi guys,

I noticed recently that people usually use the construction "try and" in a context that "try to" seems to be the most evident option. I would like to know the difference between those two constructions.

1. I'll try and find my keys ----> I'll try to find my keys.
2. I will try and get more food ----> I will try to get more food.

Thanks in advance ;)
Avatar do usuário Word Moder 450 9
Hello Ernado,

You are asking about the usability of “try” x “try to” in an affirmative question versus a passive one.

Some of your examples here is an optimistic affirmation like:
“I’ll try and find my keys”
That means you’re very optimistic and certain in your mind to find your keys even thou is not certain that you will really find your keys for sure.
In opposed to “I will try to get more food.”
Where you express one attempt to get more food, (passive form), without being soo certain.

Therefore, (Answering to someone about your achievements and progresses), “I will try to be better next time!” x (positive affirmation), “I will try and I will be better next time!”— Almost like a recital to yourself!

I hope that helps you understand the usability of these two somehow!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário Bill Sikes 790 1 1 18

Diferença de sentido não existe. Algumas pessoas, no entanto, preferem evitar a forma”try on” em contextos mais formais [o Oxford aponta isso]. Já um artigo no blog do Macmillan diz o seguinte:

But this is an overly literal interpretation of an idiom. I’ve never seen anyone raise the same objection to constructions like Go and (find out), Come and (visit), or Be sure and (say hello). The parallels between these and try and are not precise, but the key word is idiom. Trying to impose strict, literal logic on them is misguided.

E convoca users de peso:

Try and has been commonplace for centuries, used particularly in speech but also in writing by Dickens, Austen, Melville, Twain and other great authors. Even the New Yorker uses it routinely. Usage authorities generally agree that it’s standard and socially acceptable, though avoided in some formal contexts. To insist that try and cannot mean the same as try to is to ignore the facts.

Isto é: use ambas as formas à vontade; se estiver mais receoso em determinado contexto, aposte em ‘try to”. Como o artigo mesmo aponta, é no caso a caso que percebemos qual forma é mais natural.

Fonte: http://www.macmillandictionaryblog.com/ ... er-try-and
Avatar do usuário Donay Mendonça 45955 21 70 1041

Resposta para a pergunta em:

Como utilizar o verbo "try"

Bons estudos.