How can I regain self-confidence on myself again?

Hello there! I am not good at writing this kind of stuff, but I'll try to anyway.
I've been learning English for a quite some time, almost 4 years in fact, but lately I'm having some struggles using the language as my second language (I started to do this in late November). Sometimes I don't know how to write a sentence properly, I don't know the meaning of some words and even my reading/listening took big a hit, and these are the two strongest points of my English in my opinion.
If someone can help me, please, I beg you. Since 2017 is my dream to become fluent at English, it opens so many doors that I couldn't even imagine back then.

Oh, if there are any grammatical mistakes and/or out of place words, feel free to correct me

Anúncio Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor e verifique como está o seu nível de inglês. Perder o medo de se comunicar é o primeiro passo para a fluência. Cadastre-se na Cambly e experimente o método sem compromisso.

Iniciar Conversação
6 respostas
  Resposta mais votada
15 61 498
Hi Yuki!

I'll share my own experience and some tips I consider important OK!

I started learning English by myself at the age of 15, but after a time I realized it was very hard to study like that, because many things were missing and I couldn't understand the whole language: speaking, listening, writing, reading, vocabulary and so on.
As a young adult I started studying English at a regular school. It was the right way to learn in my point of view. I couldn't be a self-taught student. I was not good at that. Lol
That being said I have to admit that people learn differently, and that's why the following are some tips I hope can help anybody:

- When learning English it is important to find many strategies, as many as possible. If writing and reading
Are good, try to improve those skills, but dedicate more time to practice other aspects of the language. Nowadays we have many sources of exercises to practice English such as simple videos on the web, podcasts, films (subtitled or not), great books, papers, magazines, written studies (my publications available), grammar exercises and even grammar books totally free. Speaking is not a problem due to the fact that there are many apps, websites, chats in which it is possible to practice;

- One of the most important things to make learning easier is "ENJOY IT", the process itself, if something we do is enjoyable our brain "responds" positively, because neurotransmitters in our neural system are responsible for stimulating our bodies activities and that stimuli depend on emotions, perceptions, etc. So, if you like scientific fiction search films or books about that. Adapt the place where you study to make it comfortable (the way you feel comfortable, there is no golden rule to do that). Avoid doing things you totally dislike and if that is unavoidable, find a different way to learn that;

-Sources recommended are very important to find high quality material. When we need a grammar books, usually we ask teachers, friends or websites about that. It is important to do the same with every other "part" of the language. It is not wise to look for listening exercises, for example, just trying to find it by yourself. There are lots of rubbish out there and it is highly probable you contaminate your learning processes with "bad" material or misinformation. English Experts is great source to practice English
In many ways and to find valuable information (and also references of other qualified sources);

-Remember to practice every day. You can create a routine in which you separate parts of the day (or days of the week) to do different exercises. Try to revise your exercises, take notes, look up words or phrases you don't understand and (I insist on that) "Don't put all the eggs on one basket", try many strategies.

As for your writing it's good of Intermediate level. Just a few mistakes (most minor mistakes) and I can see Ricardo F. Bernardi has already helped you with that.

Good work...Keep up studying!

See You around!
Anúncio Cambly Gostou da dica? Agora é hora de praticar!

Utilizar o inglês em interações reais levará você à fluência mais rápido. Pensando nisso, o nosso parceiro está oferecendo 15 minutos de aula grátis, não perca essa oportunidade. O link abaixo ativa o cupom!

Cupom: 15 minutos de aula Grátis!
To take a hit (informal)
[expression]
>> (1) sofrer dano ou perda
>> (2) ser criticado(-a).

to beg
[verb]
>> implorar.
>> pedir esmola; mendigar.
_____

Hello there!

I am not good at writing this kind of stuff, but I will try anyway.

I have been learning English for quite some time, in fact, almost four years. However, I have been facing some problems with English language since November 2020. Sometimes, I don't know how to write a sentence properly. Some words are completely new for me and even my reading and listening (skills) took a big hit. In my opinion, these are my major weaknesses.

If someone can help me, please do it. I started my studies at English in 2017 and my dream is to become fluent because it will open many opportunities you can think of.

Oh! One more thing. If there are any grammatical mistakes, feel free to correct them.
6 47 1.1k
Hi there, Yuki. On a positive note I must praise your effort and your being brave enough to write in English. It's not always that learners do that around here.
By the looks of it, you have been learning for a while, but your confidence has dropped when you decided on using it in practice (by writing, speaking, listening to a song, and then trying to sing along to it).
That happens, nobody knows everything but everybody knows something, there are skills that others do better than I do, I can live with that. So, you acknowledge your limitation, just don't let it hamper your ability to go ahead and learn new things.
Let's say you don't know how to name the mango tree in Portuguese (mangueira) how do you say it? 'pé de manga'? Pode ser não? But if you are a beginner like me, probably you will say the first and that to any fruit tree. Take for example, 'pé de uva', then 'parreira', then 'videira', etc.
Please don't think of English learning like a workshop or a lecture, think of it as long-term training. Not that you should worry, let's say a woman (or guy) want to marry and then think how many dishes, pots, spoons, knives, glasses, they will have to wash in their lifetime...how many 'errands' to take the garbage out! :-)
So, think of studying English as a marriage of sorts, it's a good approach.
Other than that, take the pieces of advice above, from the colleagues. Of course, we aren't pursuing a fix-all answer, since we don't personally don't know your case. We aren't in your shoes, but gradually we are adjusting the tools (or at least trying to) to your case.

Well, at least you are pressed by the circumstances as a friend of mine was, he said he taught English in a date App, he went to out to the date, it was a first so the girl brought a friend.
Suddenly, a song in English was playing at the car radio, the friend of the girl traveled a lot abroad and wanted to know what the music meant, my friend changed the subject and they talked about amenities, and in Portuguese.
He was lucky, that they got along, and the dating girl liked him and let it pass! They could have hated it being told something that wasn't exactly true... Don't do it at home, please. :-)
15 237
OP, in addition to Ricardo's post I would like to point out the mistakes you made in the title. They're not exactly grammatical mistakes, but take a look:

Self-confidence on myself
Regain again

Doesn't that sound strange? Yeah... So I would reword it that to either "How can I regain self-confidence?" or "How can I gain confidence in myself again?"

As for the main point in question, it's hard to say why you haven't achieved the level of fluency you've always wanted to if we don't know the approach you take to learning it and how much you've exposed yourself to the language. I would hazard a guess that your brain isn't used to the language enough for you to speak it comfortably and fluently which more often than not stems from not enough exposure. It might be that you devote too much time to learning grammar rules as if you were in a classroom as opposed to naturally taking the language into the brain by hearing native speakers talk or better yet, engaging in conversations with them. That does wonders for both your passive and active skills in the language. Being good at speaking a foreign language is mostly about training your brain to directly function in that language without ever having to turn to your native language to be able to say things, that means, not needing to translate from your native language to the language you're trying to speak in. That comes with exposure to the language over an extended period of time. If you're not there yet, your brain hasn't taken in enough of the language. Do it more, and do it more often. I would recommend that you watch a lot of TV shows and sign up to online forums on which you can post frequently.
15 237
Ricardo F. Bernardi escreveu: 11 Jan 2021, 13:35 To take a hit (informal)
[expression]
>> (1) sofrer dano ou perda
>> (2) ser criticado(-a).

to beg
[verb]
>> implorar.
>> pedir esmola; mendigar.
_____

Hello there!

I am not good at writing this kind of stuff, but I will try anyway.

I have been learning English for quite some time, in fact, almost four years. However, I have been facing some problems with English language since November 2020. Sometimes, I don't know how to write a sentence properly. Some words are completely new for me and even my reading and listening (skills) took a big hit. In my opinion, these are my major weaknesses.

If someone can help me, please do it. I started my studies at English in 2017 and my dream is to become fluent because it will open many opportunities you can think of.

Oh! One more thing. If there are any grammatical mistakes, feel free to correct them.
You provided two corrections that I wouldn't have done so myself. One of which was unnecessary and the other both that and not really an improvement upon the original version at all.

I will try to anyway >> I will try anyway.

There is no need to remove "to" here, it's a natural and rather frequently used sentence structure. It ties back to whatever action was talked about previously. It's the same as saying. "I would do that, but I don't really want to".

It opens so many doors that I couldn't even imagine back then >> it opens many opportunities you can think of.

Also not necessary seeing as the original isn't a grammatical mistake either, but the former sounds better imo. "many opportunities you can think of" doesn't sound very natural to me, it would fit better in a structure like "more opportunities than you can think of".

I'm just saying this so OP doesn't get the wrong idea that he's making more mistakes than he actually is which can discourage him. We all like to think and know that we're heading down the right path and making progress. Not trying to hold any sort of edge over you as far as English knowledge or come off as a know-it-all.
Teste de Nível Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
LEONARDO,

I have two points I'd like to discuss about.
The first one will be done privately.
I have sent a message to you. ;-)

I put some words and expressions in Yuki's essay in bold following the basic guide of elements of style. It is an advanced level study which helps us to pay attention to the function in the composition and editing our writing in a professional level.

Basically, my following advices will be more related to word choice and diction, exactness, conciseness, structure and audience.
_____

Follow the next one:

Regarding the grammar points you kindly presented, I must say I disagree to you.

Follow my reasons:

1ST REASON - SUGGESTIONS FOR TITLE

How can I regain my self-confidence?
How should I recover my self-confidence?

When we use the particle -self+ word, there is no need to repeat the reflexive pronoun myself.
It is an example of redundancy.
_____

2ND REASON - VERBS TO TRY AND TO WANT

The verb to try is different from the verb to want in terms of linguistic government (regência). If we use the verb to try in order to say making an attempt or effort, it is intransitive. In other words, we do not use the particle to after the verb. However, if we have used the verb to try in order to say to do or get something, it will be transitive and the complement would be presented.

I will try anyway = INTRANSITIVE.
I will try to do something anyway. = TRANSITIVE
I will try to do it anyway. = TRANSITIVE
I will try it anyway. = TRANSITIVE [There is a biased language here: Will you try something or try to do something?].

We might want to pay attention to the verb to want, which is transitive-direct or transitive-indirect.

TRANSITIVE-DIRECT VERB
Q: What do you want?
A: I want that thing.

TRANSITIVE-INDIRECT VERB
Q: What do you want to do?
A: I want to do that thing.

When we are dealing with these verbs as transitive-indirect ones, we must follow them with the preposition. It is an English grammar rule.
_____

3rd REASON - PROFESSIONAL LANGUAGE IN USE.

Every single essay or verbal communication we will do at a company, especially when we are at an interview or dealing with customers, we should act professionally as much as we can.

When we use the expression to open opportunity or to enjoy opportunity, we will be following up grammar structure and cohesion much more than the informal expression to open doors.

REFERENCES:

(1) To try - Oxford Online Dictionary.

(2) To want - Oxford Online Dictionary

(3) CIOFF, Maurício. NASSAR, Laura Meloni; MENIN, Márcia. English as a second language (Resumão) - English Composition and Style. São Paulo. 2003.

(4) CRANNEL, Kenneth C. Voice and Articulation. Belmont: Wadsworth Publishing Company. 1999.

(5) GREETAM, Bryan. How to write better essays. McMillian Study Skills. Red Globe Press; 4th ed. 2018.
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!