PP + would + about + past participle

Marcio_Farias 1 24 213
On the structure PP[a] + would + about + past participle I've often wondered if 1) we could use almost instead of about and 2) wether using almost wouldn't significantly reflect on what the sentence means. Do you have any guidelines about it?

For example, I know I should not say or write, "I'd had almost given up hope of understanding it" implying "I'd about had..." I only don't seem to know why. Do you perchance know why? (Of all whys, this one has long bothered me.)

---------------------------
[a] PP = Personal pronoun

TESTE DE NÍVEL
Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu e-mail. INICIAR TESTE
5 respostas
Marcio_Farias 1 24 213
On my previous post. The sentence "I'd had almost given up hope of..." should have read "I'd almost given up..."
Flavia.lm 1 10 96
Marcio_Farias escreveu:(...) I know I should not say or write, "I'd had almost given up hope of understanding it" implying "I'd about had..." (...)
Shouldn't you? This is news for me.
Looking forward to reading the next comments,
Flávia
Marcio_Farias 1 24 213
I think I entirely missed my own point. Let me try again.

The sentence "I'd about had the stranded guy for lost" doesn't read or sound the same as the sentence "I'd almost had the..." does it?

Thank you for yet another one of your much needed, time-saving brain-enriching replies.
Flavia.lm 1 10 96
<now it's even more difficult!>

Difference between the two sentences (by Flavia)
I'd almost had the... --> normal
I'd about had the... ---> strange

sorry for being so honest
that's just my point of view...
Marcio_Farias 1 24 213
F, you mean you never saw the construction PP + had + about + past participle? Okay, no sweat. Let's leave it at that.