Como dizer "Médico residente" em inglês

Greetings, everyone!

Does any of you know the English term(s) for MÉDICO RESIDENTE, both in the US and in the UK? I've just heard someone saying "junior doctor" on a British tv news channel and now I'm wondering if this is the equivalent to our Portuguese definition .

Thanks in advance! ;)

TESTE DE NÍVEL Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
6 respostas
Donay Mendonça 22 107 1.6k

- resident
- resident doctor

''A resident or a resident doctor is a doctor who is receiving a period of specialized training in a hospital after leaving university.'' []
Okay, Donay, but what about JUNIOR DOCTOR? Is it another British term for RESIDENT DOCTOR (bear in mind I heard it on a British tv program)?
EugenioTM 6 31
Intern is a way of saying ''resident doctor'' (more common one in my point of view). ''residência'', in this case, can be called internship.

''An internship is a method of on-the-job training for white-collar and professional careers. Internships for professional careers are similar to apprenticeships for trade and vocational jobs. Although interns are typically college or university students, they can also be high school students or post-graduate adults. On occasion, they are middle school or even elementary students. In some countries, internships for school children are called work experience. Internships may be paid or unpaid, and are usually understood to be temporary positions.''
Understood, EugenioTM, and I appreciate your help, but I'm still curious about the best Portuguese definition for JUNIOR DOCTOR.
Donay Mendonça 22 107 1.6k

Sobre "Junior Doctor":

''Junior doctor is an imprecise term. A junior doctor is a doctor who is on the way to becoming fully qualified, or who is somewhere down the professional hierarchy.'' [Wordreference - UK]

Junior doctors in the United Kingdom and Ireland are those in postgraduate training, starting at graduation with a Bachelor of Medicine (or Surgery) and culminating in a post as a Consultant, a General Practitioner, or some other non-training post, such as a Staff grade or Associate Specialist post. [Wikipedia]

De acordo com estes trechos, tudo indica que "junior doctor" é um termo menos preciso do que "resident doctor". Um "junior doctor" pode ser um "resident doctor", mas não necessariamente. E é mais usado em BrE.
Got it, Donay. You're the man!