Does Saturn's ring change or changes?

Acredito que o correto seja utilizar o verbo na conjugação [change] , mas por que não podemos utilizar a conjugação para concordar com o IT ?
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe como está o seu nível de inglês? Teste agora GRÁTIS em apenas alguns minutos.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Avatar do usuário Andrezzatkm 4820 1 8 105
Mas o it se conjuga assim:

Does it change?
It doesn't change.
It changes.
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
Se "rings" (no plural), empregaríamos o auxiliar também no plural. Assim:

"Do Saturn's rings change?"
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 39175 6 32 684
I agreed that rings is plural, but the question is about Saturn, so a DOES would be needed here (and the subsequent verb without S). Wheter or not the subject of the question is singular or plural. I don´t mean the subject of the sentence here, but the subject of the question (here "rings").

Even if the sentence comes with WHO/WHAT etc, this rule still holds. (What speed does Saturn's rings go?)
Does Saturn's rings contain a message?
Does Saturn's rings orbit at different speeds?

Other examples (here with CAR):
Does your car have a name? (with the subject of the question being singular - "name".)
Does your car have air bags that could explode? ((with the subject of the question being plural- "air bags".)
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
PP, eye disagree. We should use the plural form for Saturn's rings. Where do people's corrections and convictions come in in this particular case?

Eye had to write "eye" in place of the first person pronoun because my cellphone's ortographic corrector keeps changing it to an "O".
Avatar do usuário PPAULO 39175 6 32 684
I agree with your disagreeing. :-)
You are right, it refers to "rings" so it´s DO in the sentence. So, by the grammar reasoning it would be:
Do the rings of Saturn change ?
Does the ring of Saturn change?

Usually they talk about "rings", I used "ring" here just to show what happens to DO/DOES when the word "ring" is in the plural or singular form.
Thank you Marcio, for being perceptive and for your always invaluable participation. ;-) Congrats!