Exercício: Rewrite it without using the verb to be

Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
Writing challenge. Try to rewrite the following sentence without using any form of the verb to be.

"Authority receives and deserves the respect of everyone, as it is only given to those who merit it and is therefore always exercised with justice."
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe como está o seu nível de inglês? Teste agora GRÁTIS em apenas alguns minutos.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Me enrolei com o Authority. Preciso usar ele mesmo na hora de reescrever?

Aí vão minha(s) tentativa(s):

Only those who merit and exercise it with justice, like Authority, receive and deserve respect of everyone.
Only those who merit and exercise respect with justice, like Authority, receive and deserve it of everyone.
Authority receives and deserves the respect (only) given to those who merit it and exercise it with justice.
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12350 1 22 206
Flavia, nice try. BUT did you know that I don't know the answer to it?

I, for one, found the original sentence ambiguous to the extent that we don't know who deserves merit. Does authority or the respect of everyone deserve merit? Don't answer.

I fell victim of my own conundrum.
Avatar do usuário Flavia.lm 3885 1 9 86
Ah, Márcio. You can't imagine how many attempts I wrote yesterday, so I'm really glad to know you don't have the answer for that :evil:

I thought of "Authority" meaning a person, not a noum. That would certainly change the meaning.
But, is "autority" a "merital" thing? I mean, is it possible to say that one 'merits authority'?