Help with university essay, please.

Avatar do usuário Gabi 685 1 1 12
Is there any North-American native speakers, who grew up either in USA or Canada, I could check something with, please?
It's for my uni research and I desperately need some help!

Do you understand (without looking up in a dictionary) the meaning of the expression 'cheap-and-cheerful' and the word 'swish' in sentence below?
... but there is a lively marina and a clutch of swish hotels, such as the revamped Grand, to go with street after street of cheap-and-cheerful terraces with peeling walls.

By the way, I don't need to know the meaning of them, what I actually need is to know whether North-Americans recognise this word and expression.

Your help will not only be much appreciated but also a great help to save my year! Thanks
Avatar do usuário Henry Cunha 9900 2 17 177
Gabi, swish is probably not part of the language of most North-Americans. The use in your text is informal British, as far as I can tell. However, there is no mystery about cheap-and-cheerful. The construction is clever, but the words are common and carry a meaning well understood by anyone who speaks North American English.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!