Watching subtitled films can help learning foreign languages?

Ref. journals.plos

This research article shows that watching with TL subtitles improved listening more than watching it without any subtitles( 16,88% x 7,08% ). That's interesting. Many people that recommend input-based methods advise against subtitles and group watching subtitled TV shows/movies as "reading" practice instead of "listening".

So, what do you think about this research article about subtitles? In your experience, what worked better for improve your listening skills?

EBOOK VERBO GET Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu email. INICIAR TESTE
2 respostas
  Resposta mais votada
6 48 1.1k
My early experience with learning was the following: I bought a monthly magazine, it came with tapes recorded in English, and the text was both - in English and Portuguese.
At the time my level was lower than 'way below under beginner', so my method was to read the featured story, then seek the "hard to memorize" words or expressions, (words with a sound hard to stick to the brain).
When I was lower-intermediate or so, I took a conversational English course, there was that subtitled video to watch (in English).
My feeling is that to the beginner-level students it was a real challenge.
There are plenty of phonetical things that my classmates didn't know, differences of sounds like "the" in front of words initiated by a vowel or consonant, "ate" vs "eat", three vs tree, the sound of the "world", etc.
I myself didn't know the sound of "tsunami" properly until the topic came up in this EE Forum.
Then they saw the words in a sentence and didn't 'notice', ears weren't used to. That's why a coach or tutor is a good thing, to point out what we need to work to improve.
Many people that recommend input-based methods advise against subtitles and group watching subtitled TV shows/movies as "reading" practice instead of "listening".
The problem is that there are many people in this country who can't keep up with the subtitle's pace, their reading speed being low (even in Portuguese, let alone in English). In such a case, it is not even "reading" practice, but a hurdle.
Plus, depending on the student, the pressure on them will go up, watching a movie as a hobby (with lots of spare time, or at least some of it) is different from having homework (having to circle adjectives, a given verb tense underlined, and another verb tense within squares).

Anyway, not all students are equal, what is true to some is not to others. So, I am not recommending or discouraging it at early stages, it goes with the student skills. Just talking about general experience here. Things might have even changed a bit since then.
Watching subtitled films can help to learn foreign languages?
It comes in handy as a vocabulary-building aid, but not to serve as a clutch or a first go-to method of learning.
EBOOK VERBO GET Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. Você ainda ganha o eBook sobre o Verbo Get em seu email. INICIAR TESTE
2 28 378
Advantageously, from the beggining to intermediate levels, subtitles (IN THE LANGUAGE OF LEARNING) work in a proper simultaneous manner in both, reading and listening abilities! Advanced learners would not be benefited by them at all; contrariwise, that even represents an obstacle on their proficiency path. My point!