"Accurate" x "Precise" - Qual a diferença?

Avatar do usuário Junior Lucas 140 3
"There is no precise definition of a storm"
"There is no accurate definition of a storm"

"Lara was able to tell me everything that had happened in precise details."
"Lara was able to tell me everything that had happened in accurate details."

They are very similar as well as (Accuracy x Precision), that I'm about to declare them as a synonyms, but I can't because I'm not sure about it so could someone help me?

I appreciate your answers :D

Mais Votada Mais Votada

Avatar do usuário Sra_Tradutora 3290 6 73
If it's 35,25 degrees Celsius outside and my thermometer reads 35 degrees, it's accurate because it gives the correct temperature, but it isn't precise because it's missing a fraction of a degree. If my thermometer is digital and says 35,25 degrees, then it's precise because it displays readings to the hundredth of a degree. My thermometer would be precise but inaccurate if it read 34,65 degrees instead of 35,25.

In your example, Lara might give precise details about a witness who actually never existed (it was either her imagination or a lie), so her description would be inaccurate. On the other hand, she might give a few accurate details about a real witness (hair color, height, clothing, etc.) but not be precise about the gender, facial characteristics, etc. because she was too far away and it was getting dark.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
My Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries say both words are synonyms, even though I agree that the context could make things a little open to other interpretations. But, in the end, I thought they are semantically the same.
Avatar do usuário Rakell Grubert Pere 3385 3 6 65
CptGuapo escreveu:My Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries say both words are synonyms, even though I agree that the context could make things a little open to other interpretations. But, in the end, I thought they are semantically the same.

You're quite right when you say they are synonyms, because in Colloquial English they really are, but in the fields of science, engineering, industry, and statistics they are different.
See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision
Avatar do usuário Donay Mendonça 49875 21 80 1155
Complemento:

Exemplos de uso:

''The evidence she gave to the court was not strictly accurate.''
As provas que ele deu ao tribunal não eram rigorosamente precisas.

''My watch is not very accurate.''
Meu relógio não é muito preciso.

''Weather forecasts are never accurate.''
Previsões do tempo nunca são precisas.

''She's a lot older than you, isn't she?' 'Fifteen years, to be precise.''
Ele é muito mais velha do que você, não é? Quinze anos, para ser preciso.

''The precise date and place of his birth are unknown.''
A data exata e o lugar de nascimento dele são desconhecidos.

* Precise - exato.
* Accurate - certeiro, na mosca, que se confirma depois.

Bons estudos!