Advérbios negativos com infinitivo

Há uma regra, ou explicação, sobre o motivo de se ter a inversão, como nos exemplos abaixo?
There's no way I can go there.

I have to ask you not to encourage his bad attitude.

Anúncio Descubra seu nível de inglês em 15 minutos! - Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor e verifique como está o seu inglês.

Começar agora!
5 respostas
PPAULO 6 47 1.1k
I have to ask you not to encourage his bad attitude.
My reasoning on that one is that "ask+to do" is a "chain" verb (that is - a catenative verb).
So, "ask to do" is something of a 'fixed expression - or fixed structure' (for lack of a better term), so we naturally would turn it into a negation with the structure "asking not to do".
With the current example: [ask not to do] would be "ask not to encourage" and then we get to the entire sentence at last.

Ref. englishclub
Ref. colorcodedenglish
Verb 'ask'.

But let's wait for more comments.
Leonardo96 15 237
This is just normal language and the way people speak, just like there's the right way you put the words together in Portuguese without it needing a specific explanation for. I'm not that sure what you mean by the words being inverted but if it has anything to do with the "not to" being used in that order as opposed to "to not", it's just the way it is lol, both forms are used to convey that idea, you can say both "i'm trying not to" and "i'm trying to not" and I don't think there needs to be an exact explanation for this. Anyway, disregard this if you're looking to become an English teacher in which case I hope someone will come along and give a more precise explanation as to why that is, but if your goal is to just be able to communicate in English I highly recommend that you stop trying to learn it that way.
PPAULO 6 47 1.1k
Bruna, there is a site you might be interested, it has something more about this topic.

Ref. english4today
Ref. ef

Ask*
I asked him to show me the book. I asked him to show me the book.
Negative: I asked him not to show the book.

I asked to see the book.
I asked not to see the book.

Those are examples from the site, generally we will have a subject in it: I asked him/them/everyone no to see the book.

There's no way I can go there.
I guess you mean 'inversion' compared to Portuguese "não vou lá de forma alguma" where "de forma alguma" seems like having reversed places when translated into English.
No, it didn't reverse, in English is just like that, we could call it "convention" or practice/usage (isto é, convencionou-se assim). The way they speak there.

I hope this helps.
Thanks guys. I saw another explanation saying that "no" can also act as an adjective, that's why.
PPAULO 6 47 1.1k
I saw another explanation saying that "no" can also act as an adjective, that's why.
It makes a whale of a sense, Wordreference would agree with you, they provide the following example: I had no way of knowing who would be there.
It's worth noticing their aside comment that it goes before a countable noun (which is - in this case - way)

Ref. wordreference

Thanks for sharing this, I myself have learned from it as well.
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!