Cleft sentences: como usar?

Ana Palha
Eu só sei que é pra dar enfase, mas não sei como usar.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 15 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores e linguistas certificados. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
1 resposta

Cinnamon 17385 15 50 401
Hi there!
Beautiful grammar...
Realmente usada para enfatizar. Quando estudava aprendi como primeiro exemplo a frase célebre:

"All we need is love!" from the memorable song.

Veja a explicação da bbc.co.uk:

"Cleft sentences are used to help us focus on a particular part of the sentence and to emphasise what we want to say by introducing it or building up to it with a kind of relative clause.
Because there are two parts to the sentence it is called cleft (from the verb cleave) which means divided into two.

Cleft sentences are particularly useful in writing where we cannot use intonation for purposes of focus or emphasis, but they are also frequently used in speech.

Cleft structures include the reason why, the thing that, the person/people who, the place where, the day when and what-clauses which are usually linked to the clause that we want to focus on with is or was.

Compare the following sets of sentences and notice how the cleft structure in each case enables us to select the information we want to focus on:

I've come to discuss my future with you.
The reason why I've come is to discuss my future with you.
Your generosity impresses more than anything else.
The thing that impresses me more than anything else is your generosity.
The jewels are hidden under the floor at 23 Robin Hood Road, Epping.
The place where the jewels are hidden is under the floor at 23 Robin Hood Road, Epping.
Under the floor at 23 Robin Hood Road is the place where the jewels are hidden.
Mary works harder than anybody else in this organisation.
The person who works harder than anybody else in this organisation is Mary.
Mary is the person in this organisation who works harder than anybody else."

Espero que Ajude!

See you around!