Como é bela a dor transformada em canção!
What a beautiful pain it is changed into a song!
How beautiful pain it is transformed into a melody!
Shall we complement our studies a little bit?
EXCLAMATIONS WITH HOW / WHAT
1) HOW + adjectives / adverbs:
- How nice!
- How nice it is!
- How tall that tree is!
- How big your house is!
- How fast!
- How fast the train goes! (= the train goes very very fast)
2) WHAT (a) + nouns:
The article "a" is only used with countable singular nouns, as usual:
- What a surprise!
- What a big house you've got!
- What stupid things you say!
- What beer!
Since they're not questions, there is no inversion:
- How big that tree is ! What a big car you have ! (exclamation, no inversion)
- How big is that tree! (wrong sentence)
- How big is that tree? (question, inversion)
- How beautiful she is! (how + beautiful: adjective)
- What a beautiful girl she is! (what + a beautiful girl: noun)
(1) DAVIS, Alex; JENKIS, Lee M, eds. The Cambridge companion to modernist poetry. Cambridge University Press. 2007.
(2) Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition. HarperCollins Publishers. 2014.
(3) Pearson Education. Longman Dictionary. 2004.