Correção de texto em inglês: The incurable ingrown nails

Hi guys, I want to receive some tips from you about this text I just wrote. I need to improve my writing skills and our EE forum seems to be the most appropriate place for this. Thanks in advance!

THE INCURABLE INGROWN NAIL

I was 14 years old I guess, living an ordinary life but then something unexpected happened: my first ingrown nail! At the beginning I thought it would be a passing thing, but unfortunately I was wrong.

It was really ugly and really painful; my mother told me that I needed to treat that as soon as possible because it could get even worse, but I didn’t pay the due attention to her advices because I had all those teenage things to care about.

She was right, it got worse: I had a second ingrown nail, and then a third one! Some people told me “it’s due to your use of tight shoes”, others said “you don’t know how to cut your toe’s nails properly”, and I myself thought it was a genetic problem.

“I can’t postpone this anymore; I have to start a treatment right now!” I thought. Then I went to see a doctor, and he told me that I needed to subject myself to a simple surgery, in fact he called it “a mini-surgery”. And so did I, it was a little painful even with local anesthetic, but now I was finally free from that problem.

For the first time since the beginning of this I saw some improvements. But it ended up being just temporally. I subject myself to another surgery. No results. I was afraid it got permanent, so I went to the capital of my state trying to find another treatment, and after a lot of search I found one.

This treatment is a little more expensive than the other one, but now at least I didn’t need to do any surgeries. In the beginning I thought it was the definitive solution to the ingrown nails’ problem, but it wasn’t; now I have to go to that treatment in the capital almost every month, but I’m not complaining because my nail is not as painful and ugly as in the past. I’m almost 18 now but I still believe that I will find a solution to this stupid problem someday.
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Aprenda dicas sobre os tempos verbais em inglês! Baixe agora o seu Guia Grátis de Tempos Verbais em Inglês. Ele contém um ótimo resumo para revisar todos os conceitos.

Clique aqui e saiba como baixar!
Avatar do usuário Donay Mendonça 49085 21 73 1138
Algumas sugestões de correção:

I was 14 years old, I guess, living an ordinary life but then something unexpected happened: my first ingrown nail! In the beginning, I thought it would be a passing thing, but unfortunately I was wrong.

It was really ugly and really painful; my mother told me that I needed to treat that as soon as possible because it could get even worse, but I didn’t pay the due attention to her advice because I had all those teenage things to take care of.

She was right, it got worse: I had a second ingrown nail, and then a third one! Some people told me “it’s due to your use of tight shoes”, others said “you don’t know how to cut your toe’s nails properly”, and I myself thought it was a genetic problem.

“I can’t postpone this anymore; I have to start a treatment right now!” I thought. Then I went to see a doctor, and he told me that I needed to subject myself to a simple surgery, in fact he called it “a mini-surgery”. And so did I, it was a little painful even with local anesthetic, but now I was finally free from that problem.

For the first time since the beginning of this I saw some improvements. But it ended up being just temporary. I had another surgery. No results. I was afraid it would last forever, so I went to the capital of my state trying to find another treatment, and after a lot of searching I found one.

This treatment is a little more expensive than the other one, but now at least I didn’t need to have any surgeries. In the beginning, I thought it was the definitive solution to the ingrown nails’ problem, but it wasn’t; now I have to go to that treatment in the capital almost every month, but I’m not complaining because my nail is not as painful and ugly as in the past. I’m almost 18 now but I still believe that I will find a solution to this stupid problem someday.

Parabéns! Excelente texto.
Fiz algumas pequenas correções, além de adicionar os apontamentos feitos pelo Donay. Agora eu queria sanar uma dúvida: este texto está correto no tocante a pontuação? As vezes tenho vontade de usar a pontuação como em português, mas sei que a língua inglesa tem algumas regras diferentes, se alguém tiver alguma dica de algum erro de pontuação que eu tenha cometido, por favor me avise. Obrigado desde já. ;)

I was 14 years old, I guess, living an ordinary life but then something unexpected happened: my first ingrown nail! In the beginning, I thought it would be a passing thing, but unfortunately I was wrong.

It was really ugly and really painful; my mother told me that I needed to treat that as soon as possible because it could get even worse, but I didn’t pay the due attention to her advice because I had all those teenage things to take care of.

For the first time since the beginning of this I saw some improvements. But it ended up being just temporary. I had another surgery. No results. I was afraid it would last forever, so I went to the capital of my state trying to find another treatment, and after a lot of searching I found one.

This new treatment is a little more expensive than the other one, but now at least I didn’t need to have any surgeries. In the beginning, I thought it was the definitive solution to the ingrown nails’ problem, but it turned out it's not; now I have to go to that treatment in the capital almost every month, but I’m not complaining because my nails are not as painful and ugly as in the past. I’m almost 18 now, but I still believe that someday I will find a definitive solution to this stupid problem.