Final Resting Places

Avatar do usuário Henry Cunha 9900 2 17 177
Passando hoje em frente a um cemitério na cidade, reparei o anúncio deles:

REST ASSURED WE HAVE SPACE FOR YOU!

What a relief! Now I can ... RIP, finally.
Avatar do usuário Marcio_Farias 12280 1 21 206
You gotta love those marketing signs, H!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Você sabe como está o seu nível de inglês? Teste agora GRÁTIS em apenas alguns minutos.

Clique aqui para iniciar o Teste Online!
Avatar do usuário felipeh6 2150 7 52
By the way, what are the expressions that we can use to say that someone has died?

He has passed away.
He has kicked the bucket.
He´s six feet under.

I believe that the "passed away" form sounds more agreeable than do the other forms you mentioned.

You probably wouldn't want to use the "kicked the bucket" form at a formal burial. You wouldn't come out with "Ma'am, so your ole man's finally kicked the bucket. How did he stand on it?" or "Ma'am, so now your ole man lay six feet under. You'd wonder what he'd do if he lay deeper than that, wouldn't you?" or "Ma'am, with your ole man liying six feet under, he'll probably try to push up some daisies, don't you think?" as any of these utterances might cause just the opposite impact any sincere regret or deep feelings you'd otherwise have might.
A forma simples, sem equívocos é dizer "he died". É comum em conversa suave, falar de "he passed away", ou "when he passed [sem "away"] we were so sad", etc.

Regards
Avatar do usuário zumstein 7660 18 219
Hello boys, you are forgetting the crematorium giving a 20% discount.

What a relief. Now maybe I can buy a better casket. Caskets are sold by number.
I don't know my number yet. I've gotta find it out.

Bye folks
zumstein escreveu:Hello boys, you are forgetting the crematorium giving a 20% discount.

What a relief. Now maybe I can buy a better casket. Caskets are sold by number.
I don't know my number yet. I've gotta find it out.

Bye folks

Zumstein, should we call that "a burning desire" to get the best deal? Cheers!
Marcio_Farias escreveu:I believe that the "passed away" form sounds more agreeable than do the other forms you mentioned.

You probably wouldn't want to use the "kicked the bucket" form at a formal burial. You wouldn't come out with "Ma'am, so your ole man's finally kicked the bucket. How did he stand on it?" or "Ma'am, so now your ole man lay six feet under. You'd wonder what he'd do if he lay deeper than that, wouldn't you?" or "Ma'am, with your ole man liying six feet under, he'll probably try to push up some daisies, don't you think?" as any of these utterances might cause just the opposite impact any sincere regret or deep feelings you'd otherwise have might.

Marcio, I´m not thinking just on serious situations. I´m also thinking about music and movies. Maybe you can remember some scene of "Patch Adams" where they described several expressions for that or the famous "six feet under" from the lyric "Used to love her". Please, don´t be so strict in this case. My real intention here was just try to improve some expressions that are not common and also maintain some writing.

Take care and regards.
felipeh6, no problem but please define strict. As with anyone who fatally or naturally passes away, I understand we should give our most heart-felt condolences to the dead's family. We won't un-nail the coffin just to kiss someone's beloved departed on the cheek, we won't vehemently reprehend the dead if he or she fails to respond to a kiss on the face nor will we slap him or her around with a large trout if he or she categorically refuses an invitation to dinner. Oh no, that we won't do!
MENSAGEM PATROCINADA Há quanto tempo você estuda inglês? Já passou por sua cabeça que você pode estar estudando de uma forma que dá pouco ou quase nenhum resultado? Que tal fazer um intensivo de inglês de 180 dias e recuperar o tempo perdido? Em 6 meses você pode elevar o seu inglês a um novo patamar.

Clique aqui para conhecer o curso!
Marcio_Farias escreveu:felipeh6, no problem but please define strict. As with anyone who fatally or naturally passes away, I understand we should give our most heart-felt condolences to the dead's family. We won't un-nail the coffin just to kiss someone's beloved departed on the cheek, we won't vehemently reprehend the dead if he or she fails to respond to a kiss on the face nor will we slap him or her around with a large trout if he or she categorically refuses an invitation to dinner. Oh no, that we won't do!

Marcio, I wrote "strict" because I understood that you´re just thinking on the serious situation, when you lose a person of your family or a friend, then I agree with you the situation doesn´t allow any informal expression. But as I wrote before, I´m also thinking about music and movies. Maybe you can remember some scene of "Patch Adams" where they described several expressions for that or the famous "six feet under" from the lyric "Used to love her". I write again that my real intention in this case was just try to improve some expressions that are not common and also maintain some writing.

Sincerely.