Por que o Present Perfect tem esse nome?

When I think that something is PERFECT it is completely done. Why does " PRESENT PERFECT " has this name if the sense of this tense is something not done completely?
If my strucuture in asking is not correct, please be my guest to correct.

Everaldo

Anúncio Você tem medo de falar inglês? - Se você já estudou inglês mas ainda se sente inseguro(a) saiba que o primeiro passo é se expor ao idioma. Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor de inglês nativo, você vai se surpreender o quanto isso pode fazer a diferença.

Começar agora!
4 respostas
Flavia.lm 1 10 95
Hi Everaldo

I loved your question! Present perfect is far away from being perfect, isn't it?

Well, I just think that not all perfect things are completely done. The love among the members of a family, for example, can be perfect and become stronger day after day. A good forum can be perfect, and even so continue improving.

Comparisons apart, I found it on Wikipedia:
"The present perfect tense is a perfect tense used to express action that has been completed with respect to the present. (The word perfect in its name refers to the idea of completion—of being now finished—rather than to perfection in the sense of "no flaws".)"

Let's wait for the next comments.

Ah! Welcome to the forum!

Flávia
Marcio_Farias 1 23 214
The structure in which you asked the question appears quite understandable to me.

"Why does 'PRESENT PERFECT' has..." should read "Why does 'PRESENT PERFECT' have..." - Remember you don't inflect the main verb in questions with the auxiliary do/does.

As for the present perfect itself, I think we should ask the same of the Portuguese counterpart. (Eu fiz, ele correu, José and João foram embora, Viajamos etc.)

Unless proven wrong, when we say, "James Earl Ray has escaped[1]" (JER escapou), we have an action carried out to the end, an announced event as announcements go. When we say, "JER escaped," (JER escapou), do we still express the same action? (Does the mere mention of JER's escape [from prison] bring on more than the simple perfect tense does or could ever possibly achieve?)

--------------------------------
[1] Murdered Martin Luther King back in '68.
Well, I undestood what your explanation. But, to speak the truth, I do not know if there is difference between " she has scaped" and " She scaped". Could open my mnd?

Everaldo
Hey Everaldo! I think You made a little mistake between PRESENT PERFECT and PAST PERFECT. Present Perfect cannot be something completely done, it's because PRESENT is happening. However, you use Simple Present Perfect to say how many times something has happened a little time ago. For example: She's called me eight times this afternoon. (It's correct, the day is running - PRESENT).

Nevertheless the simple present perfect is often used for longer or permanent situations (in PRESENT). So, for example: That car has stood in this road for two weeks (it's happening. The car keep there - PRESENT); I've been living with my girlfriend while my flat's been painted; "I've lived in Maryland for two years (I'm alive - PRESENT)

I hope you think it's useful
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!