) and red-haired
Redhead is a person who has a reddish hair, basically.
The shades change between the blond and auburn (hair colors).
However, if you want to emphasize the color of someone's hair only, you should use the term red-haired
Redheaded is an example of polyssemia, in other words, it has different meanings.
Shall we check them a little bit?
(1) Redhead describes an exotic and rare woman with a fiery temper. Gossip has it that the term is often used to describe women who have three times as powerful sex drive as the others. However, the term is used in a good way. In the middle of the 17th century, at the end of the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, the English believed in the fairies' existence, and, since then, those are often imagined and represented as beautiful red-haired women.
(2) Someone who has a hot and difficult temper. (slang
(3) An extremely hot girl who just can't help being so sexy. (slang
(4) An iconic Australian brand of matches originally manufactured in Richmon, Victoria, but it is now manufactured in Sweden.
(5) Redhead is also used in Biology to describe:
- The North American duck, Aythya americana
(The redhead duck);
- The female smew ducks (in a formal way
- The milkweed plant species, Asclepias curassavica
, also known as tropical milkweed;
- Certain species of spiders.
(6) An informal way to describe an genetic characteristc called Rutilism.
(1) BOCHNER, Rosany. Plantas tóxicas ao alcance de crianças: transformando o risco em informação.
Rio Books. 2013.
(2) CORT Cass, The Red Handbook: A Fun and Comprehensive Guide to Red Hair and More
(3) JAMET, Denis. Polysemy, 1st issue of Lexis
, E-Journal in English Lexicology. 2008.