Transitividade de "speak"

anita 14
My st wrote on her story: "Hey, calm down, he spoke." Can I use speak as an intransitive verb? It should be "said" in this example, shouldn't it?
Thanks!

COMO COMBINAR PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS
Nesta aula, o professor Denilso de Lima, autor do livro "Combinando Palavras em Inglês", ensina como as collocations (combinações de palavras) podem ajudar você a falar inglês com mais naturalidade. ACESSAR AULA
8 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Hi Anita,

"To speak" is both transitive and intransitive. I would accept your student's choice of "spoke" as a nice literary device. "Speak" can be used this way to indicate either "discourse" or a verbal manifestation, such as in:

The child spoke, to everyone's surprise.
Silence prevailed. Then he spoke softly, "Let's go."

Regards
anita 14
Oh, I see , Henry. During her story, the st chose more literary words, so I guess "spoke" is ok, as you said.
Thank you so!
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
Anita, quoted speech (aka direct speech) usually takes an "X said" structure.

"Let's go," he said.
He said, "Let's go."

"Morgan," he wailed, "don't shoot him."
"Morgan, don't shoot him," he wailed.

I have never seen an "X spoke" structure used in place of an "X said" structure in quoted speech.
Donay Mendonça 23 127 1.7k
Anita,

A saída do Henry foi perfeita.'Speak' pode ser empregado em contextos literários neste caso.

'Uh, don't worry,' she spoke up tentatively. 'I'm really not in a hurry.--

http://www.penguin.com.au/lookinside/sp ... ge=extract

Boa sorte!
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Just for fun, check out in Google "Jesus spoke and said". It's an unusual twinning of the two verbs to create a special effect.
TESTE DE VOCABULÁRIO
Faça um teste e descubra como está seus conhecimentos de vocabulário de inglês em 5 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito. INICIAR TESTE
Gabi 1 1 19
True.
It's interesting Henry. But, how would you explain this form of usage?
Is it like an emphatic statement?
Henry Cunha 3 18 190
Yes, I think it's emphatic. There are in English a number of historical instances of the linking of a French and an English word, starting in Norman times (the language of the conqueror and of the conquered), such as in marriage vows ("to have and to hold"), but in this case both "speak" and "say" are old English words, so it doesn't seem to apply here. Perhaps it's a literary tradition in English, to have these double words testifying to the real occurrence of an event, and/or the importance of the event.

And in Portuguese, don't we say "Falou e disse"?

All the best.
Gabi 1 1 19
Yeah, it's true . Voce falou e disse rs...