Algumas dicas de Nova York: Vocabulário

sandrom 3 11
Dear friends,

I´ve just arrived from New York and I´d like to share some simple tips very useful when you are there:

1) when you are in the subway you will hear: Stay clear of the closing doors, please! (corresponde ao nosso, por favor, não impessa o fechamento das portas);

2) on the road: you will see signposts with the warning "no shoulder", what means "Sem acostamento";

3) after buying a subway ticket you will see the message "receipt" (recibo, comprovante);

4) in the stores, all of the sellers and clerks offer you "a handbag" (in Chinatown "a landbag"): todos perguntam se você precisa de uma sacola - handbag, sendo que muitos orientais pronunciam "landbag";

5) frat houses: if I understand well it means the same as "bar de universitários" (é um tipo de bar ou balada frequentado em maioria por estudantes universitários);

6) in New York a tip (gorjeta) is a real institution that complements the wage of the taxi drivers, waiters, etc. to give a tip say how much you want to pay saying "Please, charge US$ 10.00" when the real amount is US$ 8.00 for example (em nova iorque, as gorjetas são uma instituição, pois muitos trabalhadores complementam seus salários com elas. para oferecer uma gorjeta diga ao garçom ou ao taxista, dentre outros o valor que você quer que ele cobre para ela saber qual a gorjeta, por exemplo, se a conta der US$ 8.00, ofereça US$ 10.00 da seguinte forma: "Please, charge US$ 10.00") - obs.: a prática diz que as gorjetas devem girar entre 15% e 20% do valor do serviço!

7) if you need to make a telephone call without money will you make a "collect call" (ligação a cobrar);

8) If you want to drink a coffee out of the bakery you ask for a "coffee to go" (se você quiser tomar um café - ou qualquer outra coisa para beber ou comer - fora do estabelecimento a forma de pedir "para levar" ou "para viagem" é "to go").

If I commited some mistake I ask your pardon, because all of theses phrases and expressions I heard in the streets and in talkings.

I hope it helps

my best regards

Sandro

CENTENAS DE EXPRESSÕES DO INGLÊS
Preparamos um plano de estudos para ajudar você a dominar centenas de palavras e expressões do inglês em tempo recorde. EXPERIMENTE AGORA
5 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Precious tips!!
Thanks!!
I've enjoyed a lot!!

Share us more!!
Adriano Japan 1 2 21
Pô muito da hora essas expressões que ao mesmo tempo ilustram o cotidiano de um país estrangeiro.

Coffee to go?
No Hawaii(US) e Japão falamos "for take out".
Hi Hi!

Really loved your tips :D
If you have some more about free and lower prices events in NYC, please share!!

I have one, by the way... for your next trip to the USA! >>> http://www.goldstar.com

See you.
;)
Marcio_Farias 1 24 214
sandrom escreveu:[...] If I commited some mistake I ask your pardon, because all of theses phrases and expressions I heard in the streets and in talkings.
Good hints, plus we should return a compliment with a compliment at every occasion and situation. BUT you made a mistake. In your post you wrote "impessa" for "impeça." You might think of correcting it in the future.
Sandro, it was useful!

Thanks for your job!