Como dizer "fazer uma vaquinha" em inglês

English Experts Team
Quando queremos dizer "fazer uma vaquinha" em inglês com toda certeza não podemos usar "make a little cow". Uma das maneiras corretas é usando o phrasal verb chip in.
Adicionar ao Meu Vocabulário

Exemplos de uso:
  • We all chipped in. (Nós fizemos uma vaquinha.)
  • They decided to chip in to buy their mother a cell phone. (Elas decidiram fazer uma vaquinha para comprar um celular para a mãe delas.)
  • Shall we chip in to buy a new ball? (Vamos fazer uma vaquinha para comprar uma bola nova?)
  • We all chipped in to buy him a gift. (Todos nós fizemos uma vaquinha para comprar um presente para ele.)
Cf. Significado de "pitch in"
Cf. Past Simple: O Guia Definitivo

Bons estudos!

Este post recebeu colaborações de: Alessandro Brandão e Donay Mendonça.
Anúncio Precisa melhorar a conversação do inglês? Cadastre-se agora na Cambly e faça 15 minutos de aula grátis com um professor nativo. É rápido e fácil!

Começar agora!
20 respostas
Ordenar por: Data
Flavia.lm 4100 1 10 95
Also

They decided to club together to buy their mother a mobile.
Shall we club together to buy a new ball?
Arandir 65 2
If we all chip in we will have some money to buy Jonathan a present.
Adriano Japan 920 2 19
Adding one more: pungle up for

We all decided to pungle up for pizza that night.
Daniel.S 705 1 2 7
Passar o chapéu...fazer uma vaquinha...dar uma contribuição..

kick in

Ex: If everyone in the department kicks in we can give Bob an especially nice present for his retirement.
Andy155 125 2
Adding to the excellent suggestions that have been posted:

To pool money

"I say we all pool our money and buy her a present."

"Let's pool our money and buy Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer." (http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2009/11/lets ... buy_me.php)

People can also pool resources, strenght etc., so the expression has a wider range of uses too.
Teste de Nível Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
Thomas 14810 7 60 288
ALSO "TO KICK IN"
timphillips 620 10
There is also the word "kitty" (substantivo)
"to put your money in the kitty"

Tim
Jerry Dorien 1620 4 46
to have a whip-round

Passengers had to have a whip-round to pay Pilot

see you !!!
Thomas 14810 7 60 288
also...

to pass the hat
PPAULO 60520 6 45 1076
Vaquinha - ou financiamento coletivo. (não está em muitos dicionários...)

Crowdfund

http://pt.bab.la/dicionario/ingles-port ... owdfunding

The story went viral. Outraged at Facebook’s snubbing of a fellow ethical hacker, California security expert Marc Maiffret launched an appeal to the tech community. A former teen hacker who made his name by finding security flaws in Microsoft products, Maiffret is now CTO of BeyondTrust. He contributed the first $3,000 to a GoFundMe campaign to crowdfund a bounty for Shreateh’s Facebook exploit.

Within a day, donors had given more than $10,000. The final amount raised was $13,125 from 303 people across the world, mostly donated in sums of $5 or $10, many with notes congratulating Shreateh and deriding Facebook.

Found here:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/1 ... ok_hacker/
Teste de Nível Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
Izabella Bruno 630 3 10
Eu poderia dizer: to pass the hat (round); to have a whip round; to make a kitty; to chip in. Exemplo: If you don’t have the money to buy my book, may I suggest you have a whip round to get at least one copy? You can all chip in. Get a kitty together.
I found this example, but I don't have sure!
PPAULO 60520 6 45 1076
To pass the hat round/around to me have a slight more sense of urgency and in my view it´s a collecting of money more like "pedir/passar o chapéu/ficar com o pires na mão", a bit like asking for something that you "have right" like the state governors that go to the federal government to ask for transfer of federal funds, albeit they themselves have transferred taxes revenues to the central government.

Other example would be a soccer team that is in crisis going to the supporters/club members to convince them to give "some extra" money to pay or buy a good soccer player etc.

To have a whip-round - is slangy, many people won´t understand, unless they read the Urban Dictionary. It made to the mainstream media, but it seems to me that is a British word. Also, it have to be characteristically benevolent in nature. It´s also a "vaquinha" but a "vaquinha benevolente"
Izabella Bruno 630 3 10
Thank you man!!
PPAULO 60520 6 45 1076
You are welcome, I am glad to be of help and I myself learn a lot from the questions and answers of fellow learners and teachers. ;)
Dourado 1125 2 24
I may be wrong, but I think that crowdfunding is a large "vaquinha", as in a Kickstarter campaign. If it's something smaller, like what you do in your office to help a coworker, for example, I think you can use pool or chip in.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
sandrom 635 3 11
I just want to add that "crowdfunding" is used more to mean fundraising via internet or online fundraising, nowadays.

I don´t know if it will be used (or it has already been used) between people out of the internet. However, in this case to me "chip in" suits it well.
PPAULO 60520 6 45 1076
Dourado, it may be or not. Sometimes it will be, sometimes not.
I don´t think Facebook would pay a fortune for a mere glitch, perhaps they receive so many security flaw vulnerabities reporting per month! anyway, in this case it turned out to be an unnexpected ammount, but it wasn´t Facebook that was paying. It got to that sum, out of fellow "hackers" outrageousness.
Leory Pereira 20
There's a very nice british expression you can use to say that.. Ex: To club together to do ( something)... we clubbed together to buy a pizza and a soda.. Nós fizemos uma vaquinha pra comprar uma pizza e um refrigerante.. hug
Dourado 1125 2 24
PPAULO escreveu:Dourado, it may be or not. Sometimes it will be, sometimes not.
I don´t think Facebook would pay a fortune for a mere glitch, perhaps they receive so many security flaw vulnerabities reporting per month! anyway, in this case it turned out to be an unnexpected ammount, but it wasn´t Facebook that was paying. It got to that sum, out of fellow "hackers" outrageousness.
But, PPAULO, in this case it was an internet campaign, just not on Kickstarter, but on GoFundMe. I only see crowdfunding in this case. It's basically yelling: "Hey people! Look how nice my project is! GIMME MONEY!!!" :lol: When it's something smaller, like Leroy's example, you don't say crowdfunding.
PPAULO 60520 6 45 1076
Yup, in this case the word isn´t used.

Iniciar o Teste Online!