Como dizer "Solitária" (prisão) em inglês

anita 13
Hi, there! How can I say "solitária", that special imprisionment for punishing convicts who behave badly in jail? I'm looking forward to your suggestions! Thanks!

Anúncio Você tem medo de falar inglês? - Se você já estudou inglês mas ainda se sente inseguro(a) saiba que o primeiro passo é se expor ao idioma. Converse grátis por 15 minutos com um professor de inglês nativo, você vai se surpreender o quanto isso pode fazer a diferença.

Começar agora!
6 respostas
Flavia.lm 1 10 95
Olá Anita,

Solitary confinement is a punishment or special form of imprisonment in which a prisoner is denied contact with any other persons, excluding members of prison staff. It is considered by some as a form of psychological torture.[1] It is usually cited as an additional measure of protection (of society) from the criminal. It is also used as a form of protective custody.

Solitary confinement is colloquially referred to in American English as the 'hole', 'lockdown', the 'SHU' (pronounced 'shoe') or the 'pound', and in British English as the 'block' or the 'cooler'.[2][3]

Source: Wikipedia
"Solitary confinement is a punishment or special form of imprisonment in which a prisoner is denied contact with any other persons, excluding members of prison staff. It is considered by some as a form of psychological torture.[1] It is usually cited as an additional measure of protection (of society) from the criminal. It is also used as a form of protective custody.

Solitary confinement is colloquially referred to in American English as the 'hole', 'lockdown', the 'SHU' (pronounced 'shoe') or the 'pound', and in British English as the 'block' or the 'cooler'."

From wikpédia^^

I've read something like "a closet without a lightbulb and called it 'solitary confinement'". The colloquial uses above may help you.

__
Hope I've helped.
Ahhh não deu tempo T-T pelo menos dá pra dar ênfase junto com o da Flávia^^
Thomas 7 60 288
Two small clarifications:

Solitary is usually a punishment for misconduct within the jail/prison. It is not something ordered by the court as a punishment for a crime. Let's say that a prisoner gets into a fight while in custody. He may be sent to the Hole for 10-15 days to discourage him from getting into more fights. He is not sent to the Hole because he robbed a bank, beat his wife, etc. And the Hole is something temporary. It is not a place where a prisoner will be spend six months, a year, etc. In the case of a very violent criminal, there are high security prisons (such as California's Pelican Bay) where prisoners are kept under conditions almost as bad as solitary. Twenty-three hours in a cell and one hour out is normal. What is the alternative? He has already proven to be a danger to other inmates and staff.

As I recall, O. J. Simpson was not kept in solitary but rather in a room alone in the medical unit. He was not there as a punishment but rather to protect him from inmates who would love the publicity of harming a well known person. Such protection from other inmates is called "high power", and is used to protect informants, child molestors, etc.

Lockdown has a different meaning to me than solitary confinement. In my experiences in California, a lockdown was a temporary period during which inmates were not permitted to be outside their cells. This means, of course, that they cannot have visitors, not even their attorneys. Lockdowns are common when a large fight, escape, etc. take place. This condition could last one hour or six. It ends when it ends. When conditions have improved and the risk of further trouble has diminished, the lockdown ends and things return to normal.

TV and the movies give the impression that inmates spend 24 hours a day in their cells. Most jails or prisons are like large hospitals with people walking here and there. And the ratio of inmates to guards is usually quite small. In Los Angeles, California, the "County Jail" is not one jail but a system of several jails. The largest of these facilities is the Pitchess Honor Rancho (better known as "Wayside"). It has five subdivisions: North, Medium, Minimum (no longer in use), Maximum, and Super Max. North has four subdivisions, I don't remember how many Medium has, and Super Max has at least one subdivision. Pitchess/Wayside is so big that you need a car to from one area to another.
gabiSL escreveu:"Solitary confinement is a punishment or special form of imprisonment in which a prisoner is denied contact with any other persons, excluding members of prison staff. It is considered by some as a form of psychological torture.[1] It is usually cited as an additional measure of protection (of society) from the criminal. It is also used as a form of protective custody.

Solitary confinement is colloquially referred to in American English as the 'hole', 'lockdown', the 'SHU' (pronounced 'shoe') or the 'pound', and in British English as the 'block' or the 'cooler'."

From wikpédia^^

I've read something like "a closet without a lightbulb and called it 'solitary confinement'". The colloquial uses above may help you.

_
Hope I've helped.
Segundo o o Filme Felon Solitária é (hole).

"I will put you in the hole"
"Vou te colocar na solitária"

Eles chamam tambem de "SHU"
Teste de Nível Faça um teste de inglês e descubra seu nível em 10 minutos! Este teste foi desenvolvido por professores experientes. O resultado sai na hora e com gabarito.

Iniciar o Teste Online!
jorgeluiz 1 6 91
Já vi em séries o personagem se referir à solitária como " The Hole".

Cheers!
Ainda precisa de ajuda? Confira algumas opções:
  1. Clique no botão "Responder" (abaixo) e faça sua pergunta sobre este assunto;
  2. Faça uma nova pergunta;
  3. Converse grátis com um professor nativo por 15 minutos: Saiba como!